Active Topics

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Cleveland
Looks like there is another Linux UMPC on the horizon to compete against the eeepc:

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6962839488.html

I'm not so sure I could buy a Compaq.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

before next xmas, cloudbook will be at walmart for $249.98, imho.

Everex = Compaq ?

Even though it retains the design structure of a traditional laptop, it comes with a touchscreen and without a touchpad? What an odd approach.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Drewvt View Post
Even though it retains the design structure of a traditional laptop, it comes with a touchscreen and without a touchpad? What an odd approach.
For a small form factor clamshell, that might not be too stupid a design choice. I know it works well on my recently acquired Psion Netbook. Then again, Psion's EPOC UI has buttons that are very finger-friendly.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The other advantage of that is that the keyboard can be bigger. As I noted in my Eee review, it suffers from much smaller keys than a netBook because loads of room is taken up with a trackpad - which are horrible at the best of times, IMHO.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
The other advantage of that is that the keyboard can be bigger. As I noted in my Eee review, it suffers from much smaller keys than a netBook because loads of room is taken up with a trackpad - which are horrible at the best of times, IMHO.
I'm beginning to appreciate my decision on passing up on the Eee -- thanks to Frethop's Netbook!

As a writing machine, this turns out to be a great acquisition, best of 5mx and Eee, I'd say. Obviously, the Netbook is not fit to run any reasonably modern software (foregoing for the moment that I could install Linux on it), but the OS and UI are so perfectly taylored to the hardware it's really a joy to work on (note: not "with"; on the Netbook I tend to forget the machine is there).

Oh, how I wish Nokia had hired all the Psion/EPOC designers...

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Clearly there are certain advantages to not having a trackpad, but if they're going for a clamshell that relies heavily on its touchscreen, it's weird that they didn't throw in a screen swivel (as the Fujitsu subnotebooks have) so that it can be more versatile than a regular clamshell.

I think the EEE pc represents a missed opportunity. Once the novelty factor wears off, people will realize that they paid a premium price for, IMO, mediocre hardware and software. Some of their design decision boggle my mind.

I'll keep waiting for someone to get it right. This Everex design appears to be a step in the right direction, but I'll wait and see. I'll have to check out those devices you mentioned, Karl. I don't think I've ever heard of them. Thanks.

For me, the N800 is still the best design for my usage, but I'm sure the N810 is better for some. The N810 keeps most of what's right with the N800 design, but it makes a few mistakes that I consider critical.