Active Topics

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Portugal
Hi,

I have Nokia N800 and the original microSSD card with 128Mb.
I have another kingston MMC card with 2Gb.

Where is the right place to put the 2Gb card? Inside Nokia or in the removable slot?

Is there any chance to install applications inside of one of those cards, so I avoid to full internal memory?!

Thanks.

It doesn't matter where the cards go. If you put the big one in the internal slot, you can put some virtual memory on it. If you put the big one in the external slot, it's easier to remove for filling with music or whatever.

The 128Mb card is possibly not that useful any more unless all you want to store are documents and the odd picture.

It's not possible to install software onto your cards. Well, it might be, if you installed things from the console and knew what you were doing. It's probably possible to install stuff to the tablet, move it to the card and then make a symlink in the appropriate places.

It would be more useful moving your home directory onto a card. There are various instructions floating around this forum.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Originally Posted by piku View Post
It would be more useful moving your home directory onto a card. There are various instructions floating around this forum.
I haven't seen these instructions, and a quick google search didn't come up with anything either. If someone could direct us to the information and add it to wiki... much thanks.

I have a similar setup, one 2gig and the one that came with the N800. Probably the most efficient use would be to put the 128 inside and enable it as virtual memory. I only used half for virtual memory and have a backup on the 128 card.

Off topic: I wonder if you could disable that from unmounting while connected to PC, so only the external slot is visible. I'm concerned with what would happen if virtual memory is in use and you connect to a PC, currently I just make sure apps are closed before doing so.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
Off topic: I wonder if you could disable that from unmounting while connected to PC, so only the external slot is visible. I'm concerned with what would happen if virtual memory is in use and you connect to a PC, currently I just make sure apps are closed before doing so.
IIRC when you connect the usb cable and the swap is in use, the internal card won't be visible from the pc, so there should be no problem.