Active Topics

Hi. I updated to the new OS2008 yesterday and have been trying to restore my apps. However, it fails to update the Application manager every time I've tried. It gets stuck at 243kB and won't go any farther. I am connecting it with a 10Mbit wireless connection which I know is not having any problems.

Just to test, I tried installing something from maemo.org. Tried loading a simple 250k game and it gets stuck at 229k. Any help would be much appreciated.

There are many references to this issue in threads following the latest 2008 update -- look around.

A start: http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13344

Nokia/Maemo server/internet/global content delivery infrastructure - somewhere in the food chain there are problems which Nokia has barely acknowledged let alone identified, apologized for, or set a plan in action to resolve same.

There should be a big disclaimer on the Nokia software download site: Don't bother downloading and installing this until we get our act together, unless all you need the IT for is what we ship in it by default. Enjoy the Chess game!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Have you enabled extras? Try disabling it as it's cr@pping out here but the other repositories are fine, if slow. Obviously if you need something from extras you're stuffed.

Tried disabling extras, but still seem to be stuck. I'm guessing it's Nokia's lack of bandwidth on the repository that's making things difficult. Thank you for the responses. Let's hope Nokia will wake up and pay their ISP.

Wait, it went up to 244k with Extras turned off!!!!

Last edited by kilmar; 2007-12-20 at 16:52.

Well, it looks like the repositories cleared up. Was able to update the application manager and install a bunch of apps/games from maemo. At work. While tethering to my cell phone. Via EDGE no less. While sitting in the bathroom. Ok, that last one is a lie .

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Not me. I'm still stuck.

Nope.... try hitting

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d...el/Packages.gz

This is no longer a bandwidth issue, the server is fcked and has been for some time, and it isn't likely to be fixed until after Boxing day at the earliest now, perhaps even 2nd Jan 2008.

This project is without any shadow of a doubt managed by total amateurs, or idiots, or both - what fool releases new firmware without adequate support staff on hand to deal with the problems that could (and did) ensue during the first few days? You NEVER release software without ensuring adequate support is available.

Intel will kick Nokias arse so hard next year that this piss-poorly organised, managed and under resourced project will become a distant memory.

Fck me I'm so pissed off with this whole sh1t show.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year everyone, see you in 2008 when the repositories come back online.

There may be hope - Ferenc appears to be on the case!

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
There may be hope - Ferenc appears to be on the case!
go Ferenc GO !

Garfi

Well i added a comment to 2620 and the whole bugzilla went down (its back up now)

Whats weird is that if you browse this directory :
http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...free/q/quiver/

version 18 armel will -always- download... and version 19 always -error-

I think this is some kind of http handler issue and/or redirect logic