Active Topics

Hi, again ^^'''

Sorry for asking another silly question, but again, I could find nothing on this at all, and it's really quite a necessary piece of a project...

Would anyone happen to know if it is possible to open an external application WITHIN a Python app? As in pack the application into a dialog window or such? I don't know how to really word it, sorry... Please help, much appreciated

Last edited by Aisu; 2007-12-21 at 01:26.

When asking such a question its best to stick with "What to you want to accomplish; what do you want to happen" and stay away with any notion as to "how".

Can you launch applications from within Python code? Sure.
Can you control applications from within Python code? Maybe/usually/depends.

Try rephrasing your question; that might be faster than playing 20 questions.

cheers,
/wc

Ok, well then...

My question is: I have this program I am working on, it's called iTablet:

What I would like to be able to do is have the user click on one of those buttons and the application of the user's choice come up on a black background, not in a normal window, with an elegant button or two below it for control.

I want to pack an external app into a Python program... Any ideas?

not going to happen for gui apps without a serious rewrite of each app. edit: or maybe writing your own hildon/osso compatible desktop mgr

seems like your time would be better spent on theming to get your desired look

Last edited by cripes; 2007-12-21 at 02:44.

Well, I rigged something up to fit what I need, thanks for the replies, though, appreciated

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
If the application is from a Linux/Unix system take a look at X11 forwarding. Within windows there are ways to do this with RDP but I've not seen anything practical (google around on that one.)

aisu: what was your solution?

@linuxrebel: That is actually a great idea, I had never dreamt of trying that, nice

@cripes: What I'm doing right now is just killing the desktop and doing a few thing to hildon, ehm, here's a little vid: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SBII_P3EZiI