Active Topics

Ok, either I am having a total brainfart, or os2008 is missing something simple. Please help prove me stupidity...

I have been playing with os2008, and enjoying it immensely now that the repository issue has been discovered.

But, as I install apps, I am seeing that I can only place them in a few categories (internet, communication, utilities, settings, extras).

In 2007, I liked to be able to setup GAMES and MEDIA sections. I feel like the way it is now, my stuff is jumbled up.

Can I do this in 2008? I can't find it!

Last edited by maxinflixion; 2007-12-24 at 14:31.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Go into control panel and its the new "Panels" option in personalisation. Then its just a matter of hitting the organise button etc.

Move things about in Panel lists and into other Panels, create new categories etc (Panels must be new name for folders now we have the Finger Panels to enter applications)

Last edited by MikeL; 2007-12-24 at 14:47.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Michigan, USA
Select the 'Panels' option in the control panel, then press the organize button.

You have the option of creating new categories and moving apps between categories. One issue for me is that you can't create a category within a category

Also, I'd recommend keeping with six categories, otherwise you have to do a lot of scrolling. I use 'Applications', 'Communications', 'Games', 'Utilities', 'Extras', and 'Settings'.
I commbined the two internet tabs into the 'Communications' group which freed up a category for Games.

Thanks folks. That litle ORGANIZE button was eluding my eyes!

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Personally I think the naming is horrendous. "Panels" is incredibly misleading, as is the title "categories". Why not just call it menu and folders?

Was wondering where that was. Thanks.

So where do you make changes to the other "Panels". eg. rearrange/remove entries on the web panel or contacts panel ?

Is it possible ?

Zuber

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Once in the "organise" option If you select/grab an icon with the stylus you will find you can move its position within the list and even move it to another folder (Sorry Panel Category )

Also in the organise option you can delete/rename and icon.

Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Once in the "organise" option If you select/grab an icon with the stylus you will find you can move its position within the list and even move it to another folder (Sorry Panel Category )

Also in the organise option you can delete/rename and icon.
Wish it would let you delete an application. I have that stupid rapsody icon stuck in there and can't get it out.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

This is one of the few bits of OS2008 that I _hate_... OS2007 did this better,
and it needs to be fixed.

1) No more nesting of folders. You get one set, no more, no less. No subfolders at all. No 3rd level (or more) or hierarchy.
2) No way to make a more 'text/stylus' friendly menu, like the old way.
3) Way too much scrolling, if you have a lot of apps installed.

OS2007 worked, and while it wasn't as 'finger friendly' it was WAY more useful.
I don't see why they didn't offer both options (ie icons/finger sized, or text/small icons/more menus) since a menu choice/option would be easy to implement.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
Personally I think the naming is horrendous. "Panels" is incredibly misleading, as is the title "categories". Why not just call it menu and folders?
Cause you can't copyright menu and folders......