Hi all will have N800 wed from circuit City for 199.

Question i took back a Archos 605 mainly 8 hours to charge battery way too long.

I hope Nokia more like a cell phone near 2 hours? Also I see I can have a spare battery charged ready to go.

trido

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Maine & Florida - USA
I'm thinking three hours, but I've never timed it, to be honest.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
I would say between 3 and 4 hours...but did not time it neither...

It usually takes about 30 minutes to recharge my n800.

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
between 2 and 4.. never leave it overnight thought !

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by El Amir View Post
between 2 and 4.. never leave it overnight thought !
Bzzt.

You should try and keep it as charged as possible. The lithium-ion batteries in the tablets don't take well to frequent discharging (since they have a limited number of charged-discharged-charged cycles).

Basically, you want to try and balance between two extremes: Discharging it as little as possible, and keeping them cool. Cool is more of a problem with laptops as they generate a lot of heat. Since the tablets don't generate much heat, you'll tend to shift more towards keeping it charged.

I've owned both a 770 and an N800 since their respective release dates, and keep them both plugged in whenever I'm at home and at my desk. I haven't noticed any significant drop in battery life on either device, so charging overnight is obviously not the harmful practice that Nokia's documentation and many people here make it out to be (this is something that dates back to the NiMH days and does not apply to Li-ion).

Originally Posted by trido View Post
Question i took back a Archos 605 mainly 8 hours to charge battery way too long.
Was that via usb or wall, sounds like usb if so thats normal

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Hawaii
Mines take about 2 hours to charge.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I virtually never plug mine in and rotate a real Nokia battery with two cheap eBay Hong Kong batteries. I have been doing this for almost a year and haven't noticed any significant dropoff, though I imagine there has been some. I bought a $10 battery charger from eBay as well, and that's what I use for the charging.

I think that more than one battery + a charger is the way to go. Then you don't care how long it takes to charge. And if one of the batteries starts getting weak, I'll just buy another one.

Originally Posted by ch8xy View Post
It usually takes about 30 minutes to recharge my n800.
your taking advantage of the quick charge feature of lithium ion batteries.

Due to their nature, they are able to accept high discharge and charge rates, but in order to prevent heat buildup and safety issues, the fast charge only works up to 80%, the last 20% the voltage drops dramatically and the battery is filled much slower.

if i have to assume 1 hour to 80% and then 2 more hours to 100%, but lithium ion batteries don't like to be discharged like TheGeneral was saying, however, i'm sure even if the unit did die out (not able to turn on) the battery TRUE state of charge should be around 30%, because anything below that and the cells are damaged. Your capacity will drop dramatically

however, the new age of lithium batteries such as phosphate solves this safety, charging times, life and hopefully one day cost. Bank on the electric cars to evolve that segment.