Hello,
for some presentation I would need to forward the screen of my Nokia 770 to a PC, which displays the received content live via a beamer.
Is there any way to do this?
I've already tried to combine the maemo LiveCD and VMWare Player on my PC - which crashes when I try to access the "home" menu in the emulator window.
My idea was to use the emulator windows as a remote display. But there is no xhost or anything to enable remote connections to the player.
Another attempt was the VMWare Player with Fedora Core 4. But I don't know how to run the needed X-server there to forward the display to.
The problem is that the PC MUST run Windows (since some ppl just cannot boot a Linux PC) and the screen must be displayable via the beamer.
Any suggestions?
Thanx in advance.

what's a "beamer"?

I would like to be able to be able to do ssh x11 forwarding to run things like gpe-todo on the 770 but display on my desktop, but as said there's no xhost on teh 770 so I've no idea how to enable this.

Sorry, for the confustion.
I guess it's a bad habit of Germans to use English words for things and think that it's correct English
A "beamer" is a video projector.
Since the display of the Nokia isn't suitable for large audiences, transferring the (real, not emulated) display to a PC and then use that for projecting is the solution we are supposed to realize. Unfortunately running the whole application on the PC inside the emulator is not possible.

Originally Posted by icarus
Unfortunately running the whole application on the PC inside the emulator is not possible.
Correct. Certain portions of the N770's behavior cannot be replicated using the Scratchbox environment.

What you'd need is something akin to the Xvnc /server/ portion, which would allow your X11 environment (running on the N770) to be viewed remotely.

Do you have any idea how to do that? Could ANY X-server/XVnc on any linux machine serve as a target or does it have to fulfill special requirements? I tried to export DISPLAY=mylinuxbox:x, but the connection never worked. Well, I wasn't even sure which programs I could try to run like that - the video player for instance started local, despite the setting....

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Devon, UK
There is a VNC server that works on the 770 http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ but you'll have to build it yourself in scratchbox as I've not created a package - I've only just tried the binary I've built.

If you do use this I suggest you use the option "-cursor arrow" and you may well have to run ping or similar in the background to keep the conection alive. Oh, and another ip - use the enter key rather than return, or disable the on screen keyboard if you don't want to use it - I can't remember the command for that though.

That said. The performance is good, so this seems like an app that's well worth having on the 770.

Last edited by msaunby; 2006-02-17 at 09:41.

would you be willing to upload your binary somewhere?

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Devon, UK

works pretty well, thanks!

Hello msaunby, I'm not sure what to do with the binaries. How do I get that working on the 770?