edit: excuse the incomprehensibility atm... I'm exhausted and going to sleep now.

I'm playing around with KDE4 in a chinook scratchbox, and I've managed to get something that at least partially runs. For example, dolphin loads but complains about invalid protocols. I think that in this case something regarding kioslaves didn't get built (or installed) correctly. I'm also currently fighting with plasma. It sometimes half-loads, but refuses to load its plasmoids (ie the taskbar). KWin4 works nicely, as well as designer-qt4 (not really kde, I know).

Once I get kde4 running well enough to give a reasonably stable interface, I'll release an image for you all to play with. Interestingly, even in this broken build, kwin/kde4 are running extremely fast, and so I don't think that there will be a problem with resources. And, as long as we don't enable opengl (in kwin, etc...) ram usage should be fairly reasonable.

One last thing. Does anyone know of any imon (inode monitor) support for the maemo kernel? And/or FAM support? Apparently it speeds up kde4 a bunch with respect to monitoring files.
Attached Images

Last edited by wolf08; 2007-12-28 at 07:54. Reason: grammar

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolf08 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Did you manage to build libqt4 with optimizations? I'm not sure if it really helps but I tried and got lost in configuring qt configuration files (what a mess..)
Most of the examples run quite fast but "chip" for example is amazingly slow.
Did you try the bittorrent client given in example? They really have crazy examples/demos.

well, I did build qt4/kde4 with a mcpu optimization for the exact chip in the n8x0. I searched on google and found the relevant information on a chat log in #maemo. I honestly forgot to try any of the examples.

ohh... I remember now. I decided to not make the demos to speed the compile up, remove chances of failure, and reduce the image size. Interestingly, I'm already using klipper with good results. It is fast and works off of selected text as well

Originally Posted by wolf08 View Post
well, I did build qt4/kde4 with a mcpu optimization for the exact chip in the n8x0. I searched on google and found the relevant information on a chat log in #maemo. I honestly forgot to try any of the examples.
Yes for mcpu but what's with
-mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp

Under bora, it triggers a segfault in scratchbox's qemu.

Originally Posted by free View Post
Yes for mcpu but what's with
-mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp

Under bora, it triggers a segfault in scratchbox's qemu.
Where did you find those values? I'm pretty new to the world of optimizations, but I have heard about a qemu feature that runs the cpu from your device in your qemu session instead of emulating one. There's something about it in /scratchbox/doc/cpu-transparency.howto

Now, if you were to use the n8x0's processor to do the compile... that would take a long time... but it might get around the segfaults.

A complete rebuild takes two hours on my slow PC, I don't even dare to think about doing it on the n800.
Well, I got this value a bit from everywhere (looking at specifications, google, and mplayer build options)
Only tried on scratchbox 1 / bora. Maybe the chinook stuffs doesn't segfault.

I've put the examples/demos in a tarball, look in developper subforum. It's really worth it.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
So curious, how will your version of KDE be different from PenquinBait's version (other than 3.5.8 vs 4.0)? I'm currently running PenquinBait's version on my N810 and it's incredible I can even create shortcuts for Maemo apps to the KDE desktop.

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
So curious, how will your version of KDE be different from PenquinBait's version (other than 3.5.8 vs 4.0)? I'm currently running PenquinBait's version on my N810 and it's incredible I can even create shortcuts for Maemo apps to the KDE desktop.

At the moment, his is _much_ more polished. Otherwise, there shouldn't be too much of a difference once I'm finished. I guess one important thing to note is that KDE3.5.8 is a stable well-polished relatively bug free version of KDE while KDE4 even for the desktop is unstable and buggy atm. So, It's more a project for me to play around with. (I'm running KDE4 svn on both my laptop and my desktop)

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by wolf08 View Post
At the moment, his is _much_ more polished. Otherwise, there shouldn't be too much of a difference once I'm finished. I guess one important thing to note is that KDE3.5.8 is a stable well-polished relatively bug free version of KDE while KDE4 even for the desktop is unstable and buggy atm. So, It's more a project for me to play around with. (I'm running KDE4 svn on both my laptop and my desktop)
Ah... thanks! LOL the version of KDE on my Nokia is newer than my desktop - I really should update my desktop So how do you like KDE4? Is Dolphin really better than Konqueror? Is it a web browser/file manager? Can you run KDE 3.x.x apps?

Tags
kde, kde 4.2, kde4