Notices

It is very important to note that this is not Mobile Firefox. Its pretty stable for ‘normal’ use but I was able to crash it by opening a bunch of google maps tabs. (failed alloc not handled properly). Also, text input is broken; I’m sure it won’t be a problem with the hardware keyboard on the N810, but right now focusing on the address bar or a text box doesn’t bring up the soft keyboard.

[Seth's note - but bringing up fingerkeyboard on n800 does work ok ]

What this is, in my opinion, is a very nice starting point. This binary has all the capabilities of desktop Firefox, including support for XUL and SVG, so it can be an excellent platform to experiment with different UI concepts for mobile (both the browser UI and web pages targeting mobile users). We are also working on tools to develop and test mobile UI’s on your desktop, but more on that later.

We have a lot of work to do on stability, usability, performance and getting the “right” mix of features.
http://blog.mozilla.com/blassey/2007...d-on-the-n800/
http://blog.mozilla.com/blassey/2007...mo-repository/

Repo: http://people.mozilla.com/~blassey/ chinook extras

The Following User Says Thank You to SethCohn For This Useful Post:
Wow! That's cool! I need to try it. The current MicroB browser (to me) is pretty frustrating... it just hangs all the time. I know Minefield is still a WIP, but I think it will be a cool app to try! It sounds promising!

Don't be too excited - MicroB already uses Gecko 1.9, the rendering engine of Minefield.

Hmmm... well, at least I can be excited about the UI... I'm not a huge fan of bare minimum UI of MicroB.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Interesting, slow as hell, but interesting.

Wow! Wow! Wow! That IS fantastic! Real Firefox interface right on my n800! Not VNC, not X forwarded... amazing! Keeping my eye on this one. Text input clearly needs to be resolved... and speed optimizing... but again... wow! Thanks!

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
wah!.... I can't get it to accept text input from the n800 keyboard. But this is one project I'll follow closely for sure. Right now if the dev's need testing done let me know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by linuxrebel View Post
wah!.... I can't get it to accept text input from the n800 keyboard.
Yes, that was in the announcement - known bug.
If you have mapped the finger keyboard to the main button (on the 4 way nav), you can enter text though...

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
-scruffy-
The *wah* was intended to be a worthless whine. The overall view is expressed in the thanks. I'm curious if the problem with keyboard entry isn't OS2008-final.

it's slow... but impressive... it can even handle youtube from the start... great start!

please don't drop this project... we really need a tabbed browser around here hehe