Active Topics

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Three questions:

1) Is there any way to remove the Rhapsody icon from the menu in OS2008 and if yes, how?

2) I added some repositories for chinook last night and then hit update in the application manager, it said an update was available for map (new version 2.2.6.377-1), however when I try to update to this version I get the following error:

"Unable to install: Software contains updates to packages installed from a different source and is likely to harm the system. Contact software author"

3) Does modest handle HTML emails and render images in them or should I just stick to claws?

Thank you.

Jeremy.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
2. check the version of map you are currently on, it's probably the same!
3. modest is fine for me, it doesn't load images though, best bet is to try it

dunno about the first one.

cheers

malc

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mississauga, ON Canada
I just uninstalled Map before installing the latest version. Was getting the same error.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
No modest doesn't load remote images. Embedded images it seems are OK... Kind of a pain.

The only way I found to remove the rhapsody was 2 ways:
1) as root, apt-get remove rhapsody-install
2) delete the /usr/share/applications/hildon/rhapsody.desktop file.

Crazy, isn't it? Why should an European company make a US-only service so difficult to remove? At least make it visible in the Application manager.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Yeah I found the rhapsody solution, I installed it then removed it using the application manager and that was that... Stinks that they put it there to begin with even for American customers as I have no desire to use it ever!

Thanks all.

Well, to be fair about Rhapsody, it's an interesting option, and at least they're providing a version to run on the N800 - the other subscription music services aren't.

The big problem is of course that the music industry cartels impose licensing restrictions on Rhapsody that limit them to offering service only to customers in the United States, and they have to be very aggressive about enforcing it. It was nice of Nokie to arrange for a 30-day demo that works for everyone, but probably inappropriate for them to include a software option on their main menu that's only available to a small fraction of their customers in one region of the world.

I actually like Rhapsody enough that I'd be tempted to get an Amerifriend to register for me, except that apparently Rhapsody's customer service is beyond awful, and it's deliberately made very difficult to cancel their subscriptions in case of problems.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto, Hong Kong
:::

Yeah, I use your tips & get now have the rhapsody icon
remove in a easy way....... Thanks!

:::

Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
Yeah I found the rhapsody solution, I installed it then removed it using the application manager and that was that... Stinks that they put it there to begin with even for American customers as I have no desire to use it ever!

Thanks all.

When I tried apt-get remove rhapsody-install it said that it could't find the package. I was logged in as root.

Never mind got it. I now understand the install and uninstall mentioned above. Didn't see the small Rhapsody app in the app manager.

Originally Posted by Raxid View Post
Never mind got it. I now understand the install and uninstall mentioned above. Didn't see the small Rhapsody app in the app manager.
i used godmode and sudo gainroot, then the command to remove but it got the error also. a little more detail how to remove this POS rhapsody please