I am in the market for PDA and I was wondering if you guys could give me insight on the performance of the N770. I know it's quite a deal slower than the n800 (especially after the OS2008 update); however, I am trying to keep this purchase under 100 dollars (I have monitored some ebay auction and it appears possible to purchase a used n770 for this amount).

How does flash 6 perform on this tablet? Is it slow when playing flash files? Not youtube videos (I think that requires a later version of flash), but flash 6 games. Has anyone ever actually tried playing, for example, tower defense? Would the flashplayer in the N770 compare to the Sony Clie? I am not basing my decision on the fact it can play games, but I was curious.

How big is this thing? I have seen youtube videos and it seems rather large. Compared to a Tapwave Zodiac or Palm TX, is it that big? Does it fit in the hand rather well? Could one fit this in a pocket with smashing the thing?

I have noticed in youtube videos that the user would tap on icon a few times before it actually registered. Is this a problem with the digitizer or is this performance related (i.e. the user being impatient and mashing the stylus on the icon several times).

One more question. With standard OS2006, what is the most memory you can put in? Is it 1 gig? Or 2?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

BReady

Last edited by bready; 2008-01-10 at 16:36.

You said PDA, the 770 isn't a very good PDA.
Search WSOD, it's pretty common.
With the effort required to get any PDA function out of a 770, you'd be better off with some other device.
Flash = SLOW
Much better off with an 800, or some other device.

Originally Posted by daverup View Post
The N800 doesn't provide any better PDA functionality. As for slowness it is that much slower then an N800. But the WSoD is a concern and I'd only buy one on ebay if its been used for awhile. WSoD tend to happen early in life for the 770.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ SF, CA
With the effort required to get any PDA function out of a 770, you'd be better off with some other device.
Flash = SLOW
Hi,
2 gig RS-MMC cards can be used. I use a 1 gig - it was cheap and is big enough.
Haven't tried flash games, but just FYI you can put higher levels of flash on it - I think even flash 9 if you are willing to play around and don't mind using/learning very simple linux commands.

It IS very pocketable. One advantage over 800/810 is that it has a hard metal case covering it to protect in in your pocket. It is not very big, goes easily into any pocket, and is a little heavy to keep in a hand for a long time - but lap or desk is fine, or your hand for 10 minutes.

I would try a N800 or 810 in a store first so you can see what using the web is like on a screen that size, with nokias interface, stylus, etc.

Flash = SLOW
Everything he said is true and relevant, except I am not sure if the WSOD problem is really a common one. Out of all the users with 770 how many really have this problem? who knows but if it were a high percentage we would see a lot more posts on it. I just read the WSOD posts - sorry to hear it is still happening to some.

Last edited by nosam; 2008-01-10 at 23:16.

Wow! Thanks for the replies guys.

"if you are willing to play around and don't mind using/learning very simple linux commands."

I am not too familiar with linux; however, the equipment I fix at work uses SGI Irix, so if the commands are similar to that then I think the learning curve will not be steep. That's what turned me on about the Nokia Tablets was that it may help me out at work (ftp, rsh, scripting, etc.) I am correct in assuming I can do this all out of the box, right? (provided I set the wireless config for work correctly)

Another question, is the palm VM on the 770 worth using? Is it slow? I understand that it depends on the app you use, but do any of you n770 find utility in the palm emulator?

Thanks again guys,
BReady