Active Topics

What's the best Word document reader for the N810? Thanks!

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Abiword seems to be the choice, but afaik it hasn't been ported yet for OS2008.
Others were using antiword or doc reader, but they are more complicated since you should execute them from command line (xterm) and also, afaik no ported yet for OS2008.
Maybe somebody has better info than me regarding how to see a .doc file with OS2008.
Maybe somebody tell you about google docs, but in my case is not a solution.
"You're killing Independent George!"

The Following User Says Thank You to akd For This Useful Post:
This is a critical need for business users.

It's more important to me than calendar sync. The kde desktop suite looks like overkill... doc reader on os2007 was just right for a gadget.

--PK---.

I showed my N810 to a travelling executive tonight, and he loved it.

The first question he asked, is there something to read doc files?

The second question, a spreadsheet program that can read Excel files?

(Yes, I know - it's an internet tablet, not a computer. Could'a fooled me tho'.)

Like a spreadsheet you can install gnumeric, and if i'm not wrong, it can edit Excel files too.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Summerside, PEI, Canada
Originally Posted by abrilc View Post
Like a spreadsheet you can install gnumeric, and if i'm not wrong, it can edit Excel files too.
I haven't tried reading Excel files with gnumeric, but I have used the application to create basic spreadsheets from scratch and it worked like a charm! I was pretty pleased with the application.

Last edited by sarah11918; 2008-01-11 at 13:59.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by abrilc View Post
Don't get fooled my friend; at this stage, the ported version of gnumeric is unable to open/handle most of .xls files.
Also, I've found a major bug, which is when you try to open a .xls file, Maemo ask what program you want to use to open it, and when you go to select the program, guess what: gnumeric isn't listed...nice joke.
So because of that, the alternative is open gnumeric, go to file-open and select the file stored and guess what: gnumeric closes..or if it's able to open the file, it will show you wrong values, changing date format, showing ---- on cells (?) and other stranges things.
So my conclusion is, at this time, forget to use your N800/N810 for any serious MSOffice handling.
Productivity with the N8XX? Maybe for some users, not for all.

Last edited by akd; 2008-01-11 at 14:22.

ah, just to save you time, forget to see your ppt files too..I handle a lot of .ppt email attachments related to my work, but should to wait until reach a "real" computer to be able to read them.

I'm somewhat surprised that they've overlooked the document handling. Hopefully soon we'll see a true doc reader. Thanks for replies all!