Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Okay, I know we're all getting frustrated with the developer discount program, so I'd like to start a new thread. Here's what you do:

Write, in your own words, the apology letter that Nokia should be sending out to The 500, having butchered the discount program and wounded the developers' goodwill. Format it as a real letter from Nokia. Maybe later we'll vote on the winner, and send copies to Nokia/Maemo/someone who cares.

I'll add my own letter later - my toddler is destroying the living room, so gotta run...

Sheesh - why are people so ungrateful when being offered GIFTS. My code didn't work for weeks; I didn't complain and didn't feel the need to complain either. Product launches are NEVER smooth, delays are inevitable and happen! The code eventually did work - and I received my device 3 days ago. End of story.

Some people want the moon on a stick yesterday! It's irritating reading the maemo dev mailing list to find half the talk on there is unrelated to coding and completely focused on the discount program codes "not working YET".

So anyways - we're not ALL frustrated with the program. It's worked for many of us. I'd write a letter of thanks to Nokia - but they got that as soon as I saw my name on the list

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Hey yabbas, sorry to hear you think I am (we are) being ungrateful; perhaps there's some truth in that. Simple fact, though, is that we're not discussing that here.

This is supposed to be a CREATIVE writing exercise. You know, to diffuse the situation. Let people blow off some steam, have some fun. Break out the voodoo dolls and party!

So, I hope you (and others) will spend a moment and get funny. Now.

(the above post was meant to be taken lightly - if you're not impressed, make a silly face & read it again)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Man... as a creative writer I'd LOVE to give this a shot... but I'd have to do it anonymously...

Since it's for fun, my attempt at the shortest: "sry, ok?"

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by muki View Post
Since it's for fun, my attempt at the shortest: "sry, ok?"
"soz 2 all

kthxbai,
Nokia"

I just got one from this company that I rent DVDs from...

"Ummm, that code redbox sent last week? NEWYEAR? You know the one that, like, didn't work? Well, redbox wants to make it up to you. So if you try NEWYEAR again, it will definitely work. And because redbox feels especially bad, please accept another code good for one night's free rental. How about, oh, OOPS? Seems about right. Both codes are good through 1/14/08. Thanks for your patience. And, again, sorry for any inconvenience."

Let's do it... Good Stuff

Dear Valued Community Contributor,

It has come to our attention that you have failed to use the special discount code we provided. We just want to understand why you have decided not to take us up on our excessively generous offer to deeply discount our product.

Maybe you do not understand the time and effort it takes to build such a program so that it will come off without a hitch. We have worked closely with our product distributors to insure the best possible experience. We had hoped that during any holiday vacation you might have planned this season that you would spend some time enjoying our new product and provide valuable commentary both to others in the community and back to us so that we can learn and improve our product to better serve our customers.

If you encountered any troubles using your code we would like to know as soon as possible so that we can correct it, and make sure you are amply rewarded for your efforts. To assist with any issues we have set up a toll-free number that you can call 24-hours a day to speak with a representative that will answer all your questions. They will also be able to take your order, to make sure any issues with the codes are addressed immediately and to your satisfaction. Please call 1-800-3825-633. If you would like to provide any comments you can direct them to the Developers Notification and Unclaimed Licensing Line at Dev/NULL@nokia.com

Sincerely,
Som Dom Jark
EVP Dept of Servicing

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
"Dear moocher,

Bummer.

Nokia"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post: