Active Topics

Posts: 225 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ some where on earth
http://www.time.com/time/photogaller...389500,00.html

I guess it went the same way even the N810 will in 10 yrs time, to tech heaven :-)

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Unfortunately Nokia N810 will positively go much more quickly than Philips phone did. I think that this will happen because unlike Philips, Nokia is not really so much into listening to what people want.

Given the extremely fast pace of the development of technology in this time and age, it is totally understandable that Philips phone did not make the grade so many years ago. Nokia on the other hand does not realize this even with such a fast pace of technological development.

This is easily understandable by the release of N810 so soon after the N800. People have not entirely settled down with the N800 when Nokia announced the N810. There was somewhat of a better time interval between the release of Nokia 770 and the Nokia N800.

Moreover Nokia does not really care too much about its Customer base as Philips did and probably still does. Nokia is willing to use the meager customer base and Open Source Coders to figure out the issues with its ITs, but without much support on their part. Remember how people complained too much about Nokia not releasing a build for the 770 after the last one and both Ari Jaaksi and Quim Gil tried to pacify the customers? It was because of the fact the people openly expressed their utter displeasure at Nokia's action that both these people even decided to give us some attention and even apologized for their idiosyncrasy.

There was a very recent news at CNN.com that Intel will push with its entire ' monopolizing bully gorilla ' might to further develop the MIDS. To some extent they are already making headway with their Menlow platform. We all know that Intel is the largest manufacturer of processors and surely a very formidable enemy to Nokia Internet Tablets.

If Intel decides to do what they say that they are going to do then Nokia will probably have a much harder time in the Mobile Internet market. As of now it seems that every TDH at every other corner is trying to elbow into the Mobile Internet Market so surely Nokia has to do a whole lot better.

Last edited by Arjun; 2008-01-11 at 20:28.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Didn't it get p0wned by the Nokia Communicators on one side and reamed by the Newtons on the other?

Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
This is easily understandable by the release of N810 so soon after the N800. People have not entirely settled down with the N800 when Nokia announced the N810. There was somewhat of a better time interval between the release of Nokia 770 and the Nokia N800.
I'm sorry, but you don't understand what the N810 is.

It is NOT a replacement for the N800, it's an alternate model.

Here's a comparison so you see what I mean:

-same processor running at same speed
-same operating system
-same screen
-same RAM
-same on-board flash memory
-same camera
-N800 has more memory card slots, takes more kinds of cards and has an FM radio
-N810 has built-in keyboard and GPS

As long as Nokia support the N810 they'll also be supporting the N800 because the N800 and N810 are, in effect, the same tablet.

Neither tablet is a clear replacement for the other, it's purely a question of personal taste which you think is better for you. Some people would give the N810's built-in GPS priority, while others would prefer the larger memory card capacity of the N800.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
It is NOT a replacement for the N800, it's an alternate model.
This is very true, and comes straight from Nokia itself.

-same screen
Sorta, the N810's screen is transflective and the N800's is not, but otherwise, yes.

As long as Nokia support the N810 they'll also be supporting the N800 because the N800 and N810 are, in effect, the same tablet.
Yes, I've mentioned this a number of times in the doom-saying discontinuation threads. Nokia would have to work to not support the N800 if they supported the N810 (notice the early N800-toting OS2008-adopters when the N810's firmware was released).

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Sorta, the N810's screen is transflective and the N800's is not, but otherwise, yes.
Is it really? I didn't notice much of a difference to the N800's screen.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Is it really? I didn't notice much of a difference to the N800's screen.
Take it out into the sun.

"sun" - what's that :-)