Notices

I got this one done, IEMapper 1.0.0. Next application is to convert MM1.xx map repository to MM2.xx database.

To download the tool, go to
http://code.google.com/p/mmpcmapper/downloads/list

To learn more, read the following

IEMapper is a PC Windows software utility that can find map tile files from Microsoft Internet Explorer (MSIE) cache, copy, rename and store them to specified directories in Maemo Mapper (MM) 1.xx map file storage style, to build/update your MM map repository on a Windows PC. It's the same way that you do map downloading while browsing in Maemo Mapper, but on a PC you need to run this tool after browsing the map sites.

This tool provides an easy, interactive way to build your map repository on your PC, use it in parallel with winmapper will make the process faster.

This is a command line application, but you can make a batch file to run it. The tool only supports to collect map tile files from MSIE cache, not with other web browsers. Thus you need to play with the map sites using MSIE web browser to get it work, MSIE version 4.0 or above is required.

To execute the application, run at the command line:

>iemapper config_file

The config file is a text file, which specifies the top directories for different map tile file systems, and map levels you expect to build. Just modified the supplied config file template, it's self-explained. At this release, the application can build/update map repository for the following map tile systems:

Google Street Map
Google Satellite Image
Google Satellite Image Mask (Google map uses them to label the sat image)
Google Terrain Map
Google Chinese Map, the map is in Chinese
Virtual Earth Map
Virtual Earth Satellite Image
Virtual Earth Hybrid Image

The utility will copy these map tile files to the directories specified in config file by the user. The storage structure follows exactly the MM 1.xx map repository style. User can enable/disable copying certain map tile systems by simply adding or remove their repository paths.

If the target map tile file already exists, IEMapper will compare the file's modification time with that from the map server, only newer files will be copied. So it's safe to run the tool many times. The copied map tile file's modification time will be set exactly as the source file, thus your map repository is always synchronized with map servers. If the target map tile file is empty(size 0), IEMapper will overwrite it. Since some time MM or Winmapper may generate corrupted empty map tile files, using this tool can repair the map repository.

Two batch file templates are provided with this release, user can modify the paths within 2 files. They are used to update your SD card's MM 1.xx map repository or synchronize it with your PC. Only newer files will be copied to the target every time you execute them.

* This application is an OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE, released and distributed under GNU GPL LICENSE.

-Disclaimer of Warranty-

THIS SOFTWARE AND THE ACCOMPANYING FILES ARE DISTRIBUTED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES AS TO PERFORMANCE OR MERCHANTABILITY OR ANY OTHER WARRANTIES WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. NO WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE IS OFFERED, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE PUBLISHER DOES NOT ASSUME ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY ALLEGED OR ACTUAL DAMAGES OR LEGAL DISPUTATION ARISING FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THIS SOFTWARE.

By download and using the tool, it requires and implies that you agree with the above license conditions.

The Following User Says Thank You to nutter For This Useful Post:
Map2gdbm 1.0.0 is done and released. The Windows software will convert MM 1.xx map repository to MM 2.xx GDBM data base file. Thus you can migrate to MM 2.xx without losing your 1.xx maps, or have to download them again. Now we have the totall solution to build/update your map repository on your PC, no matter it's MM1 or MM2.

To download the tool, go to
http://code.google.com/p/mmpcmapper/downloads/list

To learn more about map2gdbm, read the following

Map2GDBM is a PC Windows software utility that converts Maemo Mapper (MM) 1.xx map repository into MM 2.x GDBM database file. So you can use your maps collected for MM 1.x under MM 2.x as well.

This is a command line application, but you can make a batch file to run it. Also it's better to redirect its screen output to a text file to review the processing result.

To execute the application, run at the command line:

>map2gdbc config_file map_index [block_size]

The config file is the exact the same config file used by IEMapper, which specifies the top directories for different map tile file repositories, and map levels you expect to build.

The map_index indicates which map GDBM database you want to build, and the file names the tool will generate:

0 -- Google Street Map -- gmap.db
1 -- Google Satellite Image -- gsat.db
2 -- Google Terrain Map -- gtrn.db
3 -- Google Chinese Map -- gcmap.db
4 -- Virtual Earth Map -- vmap.db
5 -- Virtual Earth Satellite Image -- vsat.db
6 -- Virtual Earth Hybrid Image -- vhybrid.db
7 -- Google Satellite Image Mask -- gmask.db

The generated GDBM database file will be placed at the top level of your corresponding map repository directory. If the database with the same name exists already, like you copy the file from the SD card over, the file won't be destroyed, only new map tiles are inserted. If the same map tile already exists in the database, the utility will skip that map. So you can copy from your SD card the existing database file, and update it on your PC.

The block_size specifies the disk allocation unit size, in kb. Since Windows has no way to know your SD card configuration parameter, you have to supply that. If you don't set that option, the tool will use 32k as the default parameter. This number will impact you card speed performance, you can use the command

>chkdsk x:

to obtain and set it with the utility. Since today most common SDHC cards use 32k or 16k as the optimized size, it's recommended that you format your card with it. Note that this option only applies to the new produced database file. If you're updating an old database file, as the one copied from your card, it has no impact since the parameter has been set by MM.

The Following User Says Thank You to nutter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Portugal
Works great! Thank you!!! (by the way - linux users -works fine with wine)

So, to actually create map db I need first to browse all needed maps in IE with all desirable zooming levels and then to run IEMapper?
Hmmm, is it only me who find this way of downloading maps weird and unnatural? Or I just spoiled by Bill Gates? Is it really difficult to create an app that will download maps for the region, as it is done in Maps? Or by state, which is even better?

You can use the winmapper to download all level maps automatically, both winmapper and iemapper use the same directory structure, so you can point to the same file place for the 2 applications. The iemapper just simulate MM's browsing download capability.

I bought a N800 just before the Xmas, and found MM is really a cool utility. But it's not a device suppose doing all heavy load stuff. So it comes with these toolset - let PC do all heavy stuff. It's natural.

My next goal is to develop a full GUI based PC map manager. You can offline browse your map repository, automatically download missed map tiles into it, drag a square to download all level map tiles within it, maybe add GPS support, routing .....who knows? Maybe it can fork into a PC version MM. But it won't be like this, can be cracked in a few days.

I like the idea to use the map you choose, fantastic.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nutter For This Useful Post:
Wow, nutter, thanks for this! I know people have been asking for this kind of application. I'm glad you stepped up to the plate!

"To execute the application, run at the command line:
>map2gdbc config_file map_index [block_size]"

what command line?DOS?

Well, Windows actually.

Open a command line window in XP, NT, 9X, whatever.

I get this error:Config file config_file open failed.

Originally Posted by bengati View Post
I get this error:Config file config_file open failed.
Carefully check your config file path, if there is space in it, you may need to quote it, like

d:\maps\"google street"\map.cfg

Besides, it only supports Ascii coded path, not multi byte languages. I am just too lazy.

Last edited by nutter; 2008-01-17 at 02:27.