I have just bought an N800 off ebay. I have been using Ubuntu full-time for about 2 years now so am reasonable competent. The N800 has not arrived yet but I am already reading how to hack it! I have 2 2gig SD Cards. Today I downloaded Xubuntu and copied across the iso images to the SD Card. When I get my N800 will I be able to boot from the SD Card and install Xubuntu?

I have bought it a portable Bluetooth keyboard from the link in Accessories forum here. I do want a full Desktop on it. I don't particularly like KDE (will use it I have to).

Will this work any tips, instructions etc etc???

Helen

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by helliewm View Post
I have just bought an N800 off ebay. I have been using Ubuntu full-time for about 2 years now so am reasonable competent. The N800 has not arrived yet but I am already reading how to hack it! I have 2 2gig SD Cards. Today I downloaded Xubuntu and copied across the iso images to the SD Card. When I get my N800 will I be able to boot from the SD Card and install Xubuntu?

I have bought it a portable Bluetooth keyboard from the link in Accessories forum here. I do want a full Desktop on it. I don't particularly like KDE (will use it I have to).

Will this work any tips, instructions etc etc???

Helen
You didn't really read up a lot on the N800 before hitting that "Pay now!" button, did you?

But to answer your question: No.

There is a fellow who got Debian Sid for ARM EABI working on his 770. Finding it is a nice exercise in using the search function of this forum, which something tells me is what you'll be hearing a lot.

Oh fine. I shall I use the KDE desktop work around. Its fine. Or I shall get Abiword etc up and running. Its not a problem. I am just looking at all options. It would help if it arrived so I could play with it!

Helen

Solved it was under XCFE instead of Xubuntu. That is what I wanted, just going about it in the wrong way.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...highlight=xfce

Helen

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
The N8x0 uses an ARM processor, so though it runs Linux it can't run programs compiled for Linux on x86. Combined with the fact that it currently comes with a fairly cut down version of Debian you will have to recompile most programs to make them work on your device. The good news is that Debian already has a full port to the ARM platform. Specifically search for "debian armel eabi" (armel = arm endian: little, I think). If I were you, I would just use your ubuntu machine to run debootstrap to make a debian armel chroot on an SD card. As long as you come into this with an open mind and the knowledge that you'll have to do a little hacking of your own, you'll have a lot of fun, enjoy a great device and learn *a lot*. Have fun, and as long as you search and ask smart questions there are lots of people here willing to help. Welcome aboard!

-John

Thanks John that is exactly the info I needed. I am searching under the wrong things. Yes I do have a completely open mind to this. I need to get into the mindset to ask the right question. I asked the wrong question about Xubuntu. I am still Ubuntu forum mode! I am quite happy to compile programmes. I do want Abiword and Gnumeric on it but from some brief research I can do that.

I have bought a bluetooth keyboard for it.

I have a Blackberry Pearl for work and that does not excite me at all (Works choice) . I also have a UK T-Mobile Web n Walk 10 gig data package that includes SKPE. My thinking was its Open Source (I love Ubuntu, tried SUSE and various fLavoUrs) and a better alternative than a Blackberry for personal use. I have unlimited T-Mobile and BT Broadband (there my ISP) WIFI minutes and I can bluetooth to my 3G HSDPA phone.

The N800 seems to meet my needs better than a Blackberry, Palm or PDA for personal use. I did do my research before hitting the pay button!

Thanks again.

Helen

I am glad to see that folks are working on better OS solutions. I have backed off of OS2008 to OS 2007 because it does not currently offer dependable document and spreadsheet viewing apps.

We very much need a turnkey solution that delivers for the business-oriented user.

--pk---