Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Right, I'm sitting here right now wondering why I even have that pig of an application in my N800's on-board memory.

Does anyone here who uses both Maps and maemomapper think that Maps isn't very helpful and should be uninstalled anyway?

What are your thoughts on both apps? Pros and cons?

I uninstalled it. I can't download maps for it anyway. I tried Maemo Mapper, and gave up on it at least for now. It just doesn't do what I need, namely auto rerouting. For mapping I'm using my Palm and my EeePC. Both have much better mapping programs available.

I uninstalled it too from my N800. Going to MapQuest on the web gives me more information that I want.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
I uninstalled it. I can't download maps for it anyway. I tried Maemo Mapper, and gave up on it at least for now. It just doesn't do what I need, namely auto rerouting. For mapping I'm using my Palm and my EeePC. Both have much better mapping programs available.
As far as I was aware (I haven't used if for a few weeks), if you have an internet connection, Maemo Mapper will recalculate a new route if you go off route. But it basically generates a new route from your current location to the destination.

I currently don't have a data plan for my phone so I never checked this out...

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Exactly. MM does re-routing on the fly if you've got an active internet connection. Tried it and it worked (kinda slow, but worked).

About the internal Map application. It's free and for a company who usually does commercial program, that's already too much of a give away.
The map application does, for free, what it was programmed to do: tell you where you are and can tell you what's around you.
I've found out that the 2D mode is enough for this (and can zoom out more than 3D view).
2D is also faster in updating the display (3D is slower than my car in turning, but the voice looked always on par with my driving, but this can confuse you when driving in a city like Rome).
I use both applications depending on my needs and internet availability.
If I can plan the trip, I try to use Maemo Mapper preloaded with the maps in different zooms (and I make sure my cellphone is charged).
I use the Map application in all other situations.
It was usefult few evenings ago while looking for an address and didn't have a connection on the phone (roaming).

So I suggest people to have both programs as a workaround for the bad implementation of the Map application.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
For me, I found it to be useless. The mapping/gps software on my n75 is far better and useful, especially Goole Maps. If I need REAL GPS, thats what my Garmin 2610 is for.

Others may see things differently and I'm not disagreeing with them. I'm talking about my needs and uses.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by thunder7 View Post
For me, I found it to be useless. The mapping/gps software on my n75 is far better and useful, especially Goole Maps. If I need REAL GPS, thats what my Garmin 2610 is for.

Others may see things differently and I'm not disagreeing with them. I'm talking about my needs and uses.
Well.. note that the N810 is NOT intended to be a REAL GPS.

The built in Map program gives you detailed maps of the whole US for free, and you only have to download 2 maps, which can be done on your desktop if you prefer. These maps are much more compact than the Maemo Mapper maps, for the same level of detail, and may be more accurate in some cases. If you have a bluetooth gps device, the built in Map program should be sufficient to keep you from getting lost. Admittedly, the free version doesn't even compare to a real stand-alone gps navigation unit, but it's very useful for those of us who don't have one.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Well.. note that the N810 is NOT intended to be a REAL GPS.
I think you mean PND - Personal Navigation Device.

GPS is a geolocation technology and has nothing to do with maps or routing.

However, what do you mean by a "real" [PND]? A PND would be any device that provides for geolocation, some map support, routing, and geo-search. This could mean a lot of things depending on quality and level of implementation.

The built-in Maps application, in my opinion, is just embarrasing. MaemoMapper should have been included by default - as it is better implemented, fuller featured, and abides by the current goals of Maemo in being open-source and having a community. It also utilizes free and open map sources (OpenStreetMap) instead of requiring inane, and ill-working, map downloads in the hundreds of megabytes.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
I uninstalled it early on. Maemo-mapper seems better to me overall.

I will say it was simpler to deal with the maps in map, but that was the only real advantage I could see (2 maps for USA, several days later I am still downloading maps for maemo-mapper and I have no idea how much more I need to go).

I was going to put my Garmin GPSMAP76CS up for sale, but I think I just might want to hang on to it .

Yes, I am confuzed...
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.