Active Topics

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Hi,

found that synergy seems to be missing from OS2008 repos. The older version does run but I am missing cursor display and keyboard input (maemo-gtk-im-switch).

For those wondering what synergy is, it allows you to use one desktop mouse and keyboard to control several computers (linux or windows). By moving the cursor off the screen, you switch your input to another networked computer.

This is not like VNC or remote desktop. Each machine still needs its own monitor/display. What it does is allow you to use one keyboard+mouse to controll all machines around you.

So here's the thread on getting this working in OS2008. Please post questions/tips/experiences here.

Did the older version support visible mouse cursor on os < 2008?

I built for chinook and got it working but it was very large executables, no mouse cursor, and slightly awkward setup of screen zones... would be nicer incentive if mouse cursor could feedback when entering maemo zone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pipeline For This Useful Post:
would love to see this working properly on OS2008
I use synergy alot between my laptop and the computer I watch TV on. Having the cursor go to the tablet on the right would be lovely

The Following User Says Thank You to multi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
would love to see this working properly on OS2008
I use synergy alot between my laptop and the computer I watch TV on. Having the cursor go to the tablet on the right would be lovely
synergy_1.3.1-2ubuntu2_armel.deb

Here you have guys, it is built from ubuntu sources and confirmed to work on N810 with the latest firmware. Should work ok with previous firmwares as well.

EDIT:

To get mouse cursor to work, edit the file /home/user/.icons/default/index.theme and comment out the Inherits=xcursor-transparent like this:
[Icon Theme]
#Inherits=xcursor-transparent

WARNING!!!!

It seems that this tweak will destroy all status bar applet settings, ie. osso-statusbar-cpu at first, but reboot twice to get them back.

Last edited by locusf; 2008-02-24 at 14:13. Reason: Mouse cursor

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Hehe, thanks, having currsor on screen looks good.

Btw, how to start synergy on n800?

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Hehe, thanks, having currsor on screen looks good.

Btw, how to start synergy on n800?
You have to start up synergyc/synergys via xterm.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Thanks but I tried synergys and it said no configuration available.. Do I make my own config? If so, I shall read up on the help

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Thanks but I tried synergys and it said no configuration available.. Do I make my own config? If so, I shall read up on the help
Fear no more of configuration hassle my friend, first install my synergy package above and then this:

quicksynergy_0.6-1_armel.deb

Its quicksynergy that enables you to run the server and client with a nice gui.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to locusf For This Useful Post:
Ooh, thanks

I just looked in the console output and it seems to be running. Now to connect a client...

Thanks again!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, i think i would rather go for a server on the pc and the client on the tablet, but thats me...