Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Hi guys!!!

This may not be the thread you were looking for, but maybe it will become one you can use. I imagine people are coming here looking for information about what I am recommending? I am actually looking for your recomendations for what you think the default settings in any particular area should be.

I am asking anyone who has made settings changes, like PCQ and the move window key. Or settings you changed to make things work better. Perhaps you have a font setting that looks good in microb and konqueror, even if you installed it after KDE.

I am interested!!

There will be some updates coming shortly, well, they will be coming after I actually get a n810. Which my friends, I am not sure when this will be?? But I would like to polish things up a bit and include your recommendations.

So Again, if you made a settings change and you believe it to be for the better, I want to hear from you!

I am sure a healthy debate will ensue shortly!

PS
PLEASE POST WHETHER USING N800 or N810, I am thinking default settings will differ between them in the future
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Anyone? Anyone?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Anyone? Anyone?
I'm at school right now - will post my N810 optimized settings later today

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
The following is my list of settings that I use on my N810. I use KDE pretty much exclusively. I only go into Maemo anymore if I need to do a one click install of an app/update (ie: no deb available).

1) First I'll start with how to get around the fact that some of the windows are too big for the N810 screen. What I've done to make the windows that are too big accessible, is to go into Control Center -> Regional & Accessibility -> Keyboard shortcuts -> here you can assign buttons to do various tasks while in KDE. For example on my N810 there is a "menu" button to bring down the menu in Maemo apps - that is pretty much worthless as is in KDE (KDE just recognizes it as F4) so I assigned it to "Move Window". Now whenever I want to easily see the bottom of window that are too long (mainly so I can tap OK/Apply/Cancel etc...) I just press that button and then use the stylus to move the window to wherever I want it.

2) any N810 owners should use Control Center -> Regional & Accessibility -> Accessibility -> Modifier Keys -> Check "Use Sticky Keys" and "Lock Sticky Keys". This will allow your Fn & Shift keys to work like they do in Maemo (ie: Tap Fn then tap the 2nd button instead of needing to tap both at the same time).

3) I've also mapped the "Home" button to "Minimize" and "Shift + F4 (menu button)" to "Close" and so on until all of my buttons were mapped to what I want. You can also do alternative assignments for each of the commands which is handy if you're using a BT keyboard so using the keyboard uses buttons/keys that are convenient to it and my BT keyboard has it's own set of shortcuts.
You can also make application specific keyboard shortcuts - for example when I'm in KOrganizer, Ctrl +N will bring up the New Event dialog. You get the idea...

4)You can add/remove applets from the system tray and panel. If you tap on the left side of section of the panel that holds the item you want to edit, you will see a little white criss-cross verticle line with a tiny arrow at the top. Tap on that arrow and menu will pop up that allows you to edit the panel. It can be tricky to tap the arrow, so be patient if it takes a few tries.

5)Because I use KDE all the time, I wanted as much memory and CPU available for it as I could get. So I turned off all applets, email etc in Maemo.

That's at least a start...I've gotta run but will add more later

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Hi Penguinbait,

Indeed, I am thinking of this very issue as I have spent almost every minute with my tablet playing with KDE! I really really like it because it is so customizable, and I am just learning the environment, so I don't have a lot of specific recommendations till I work with it some more.

I do have a question that is at least related to settings, or my inability to figure out how to change them=). I have initially been playing with the desktop because it offer so much flexiblity, but I may have painted myself into a corner. Here's what happened: I was tinkering with the taskbar, using the 'add applet/application' feature, but in a wayward 'tap', I managed to 'lock' the taskbar in such a way that I cannot now add new applets.

Now, I did some searching this morning and found a similar situation in an ubuntu forum, but no solution was posted, alas.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=376817

Lazy guy that I am, rather than join that forum and ask there, I thought I'd ask you first, or at least see if anyone else reading this thread knows what I am talking about. If you've been using it you might know that there is a little bar and arrow that is 'attached' to the applets in the taskbar, but after locking the taskbar, those control panels were 'conveniently' removed and I cannot figure out how to get them back.

EDIT: @ Pincushion, I see in your post that you know what I'm referring to here....any ideas?

Reading the documentation at the KDE site wasn't helpful, alas, especially because the link to the user guide returned a 404 this morning, but I did gather that the application that control this behavior might be called 'Kicker'. Unfortunately I was unable to find this app on my ITT install. I could be wrong about the Kicker thing...

Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by Greyghost; 2008-01-16 at 17:00.

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Hi Penguinbait,

Indeed, I am thinking of this very issue as I have spent almost every minute with my tablet playing with KDE! I really really like it because it is so customizable, and I am just learning the environment, so I don't have a lot of specific recommendations till I work with it some more.

I do have a question that is at least related to settings, or my inability to figure out how to change them=). I have initially been playing with the desktop because it offer so much flexiblity, but I may have painted myself into a corner. Here's what happened: I was tinkering with the taskbar, using the 'add applet/application' feature, but in a wayward 'tap', I managed to 'lock' the taskbar in such a way that I cannot now add new applets.

Now, I did some searching this morning and found a similar situation in an ubuntu forum, but no solution was posted, alas.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=376817

Lazy guy that I am, rather than join that forum and ask there, I thought I'd ask you first, or at least see if anyone else reading this thread knows what I am talking about. If you've been using it you might know that there is a little bar and arrow that is 'attached' to the applets in the taskbar, but after locking the taskbar, those control panels were 'conveniently' removed and I cannot figure out how to get them back.

EDIT: @ Pincushion, I see in your post that you know what I'm referring to here....any ideas?

Reading the documentation at the KDE site wasn't helpful, alas, especially because the link to the user guide returned a 404 this morning, but I did gather that the application that control this behavior might be called 'Kicker'. Unfortunately I was unable to find this app on my ITT install. I could be wrong about the Kicker thing...

Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

My suggestions is to use vnc, KDE comes with VNC server running by default. So once KDE is installed, you can vnc to your tablet. This will allow you to right click which is the easiest way I can think of to manipulate the taskbar.

Note that you can vnc to and from KDE and you and rdesktop to and from KDE.

My suggestions is to use vnc, KDE comes with VNC server running by default. So once KDE is installed, you can vnc to your tablet. This will allow you to right click which is the easiest way I can think of to manipulate the taskbar.

Note that you can vnc to and from KDE and you and rdesktop to and from KDE.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you mean that what's missing is my ability to 'right-click'? Using VNC would give me that ability, but isn't there a way to restore/unlock my taksbar with the ITT?

Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
The following is my list of settings that I use on my N810. I use KDE pretty much exclusively. I only go into Maemo anymore if I need to do a one click install of an app/update (ie: no deb available).

Well it seems to me we can fix this. What about a link to hildon filemanager, then you can do one click install files.

Originally Posted by Greyghost View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply. Do you mean that what's missing is my ability to 'right-click'? Using VNC would give me that ability, but isn't there a way to restore/unlock my taksbar with the ITT?
OK, I see, I am not sure how you locked it in the first place, but there is a lock and an unlock, use vnc right click, easiest way to fix

might be a key combo predefined for lock/unlock?

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-01-16 at 17:42.

OK, I see, I am not sure how you locked it in the first place, but there is a lock and an unlock, use vnc right click, easiest way to fix

might be a key combo predefined for lock/unlock?
O getting it locked? That was the easy part! The interface is very tiny, and I accidentally tapped 'lock'...bummer. Interestingly, I have, on the taskbar, a 'lock/unlock/logoff' applet, which does not allow me to 'unlock' it, alas.

And a key combo, now there's a good idea! Still, the trick is mapping it correctly. Ok I guess have some playing around to do. Thanks for your help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greyghost For This Useful Post:

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35