Active Topics

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Since apparently nobody posted this: the iPod touch just became a better internet tablet with the latest firmware. Apple enabled the e-mail function.

What I find outrageous is that they want 20$ for it.

Full story on the Apple web site: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/?sr=hotnews

I see they added the ability to copy and paste text, which was a seriously needed feature...

I know some people who have an iPod Touch. Each of them has jailbreaked it ; it's their devices before Apple's devices, and they really enjoy installing 3rd party applications. I think Apple should really open their iPod Touch/iPhone ; they'll make more money because they'll sell a lot more devices and a lot of application will appear ; making them selling more [...]

So another $20 bucks on top of an already over-priced device just to enable all the feature already availible (for free) on the NIT's.

Apple will never cease to amaze me how they can sell things in their usual fashion of screwing over their customers yet still have them coming back in droves.

I'd like to see an experiment where apple spray-paints fake dog poop silver and embosses their logo on it just to see if the fanboys will get in line to buy the limited edition i-crap.

Originally Posted by Sentinel1705 View Post
So another $20 bucks on top of an already over-priced device just to enable all the feature already availible (for free) on the NIT's.
D
You obviously don't understand the mindset of the average consumer. They are willing to pay for instant gratification, ease of use, no messing with the commandline. A different audience than that of the Nokia Tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to iamthewalrus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by Drewvt View Post
I see they added the ability to copy and paste text, which was a seriously needed feature...
No sign of it.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
You obviously don't understand the mindset of the average consumer. They are willing to pay for instant gratification, ease of use, no messing with the commandline. A different audience than that of the Nokia Tablets.
I know. I'm tech savy and out of touch (no pun intended) with the average consumer.

I have a family member dumbfounded by the abilities of my N800 and has been debating between that and the 16GB ipod touch. From his point of view mine is superior, but that view is skewed because I know how to work the tablet from being tech-savy, something he is not.

I told summarized it like this: The iPod touch is a sports car with an automatic transmission. The Internet Tablet is a sports car with a manual transmission. If you know how to drive, you will enjoy the internet tablet infinitly more than you will ever enjoy the iTouch. If you don't know how to drive, you will hate the tablet and adore the iTouch for its simplicity. Now he is leaning towards the Aigo tablet featured at CES.

Back to topic. Exactly how does the GPS feature in the itouch work? If it needs wi-fi to make the routes then there is no GPS chip built in which means it is not self-aware like the N810. So how does it automatically get your location for route guidance? Cross-reference the IP address of the wi-fi router you are using with a who-is database to find out where you are? That is kinda spooky if you think about it.

I don't recall the company Jobs mentioned in the keynote, but they use a database of wi-fi hotspots to triangulate your position on the map.

Originally Posted by jasonpo View Post
I don't recall the company Jobs mentioned in the keynote, but they use a database of wi-fi hotspots to triangulate your position on the map.
So if the itouch's "GPS" feature were to piggy back off of my own private networks wireless connection, I'm guessing it doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a fix on where I actually am, huh?

Great. $20 for a guestimate.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by Sentinel1705 View Post
Exactly how does the GPS feature in the itouch work?
There is no GPS feature in the iPod touch. There is no GPS, and no bluetooth.