http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080120...companynokiaeu

"BERLIN (AFP) - Anti-Nokia anger in Germany for closing a factory is growing with politicians publicly ditching the firm's phones and joining calls for a national boycott in Europe's largest economy...."

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
It's the shape of things to come in the cell phone industry... Huge growth is over and production now is for replacement units.

Made in China now?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
It's the shape of things to come in the cell phone industry... Huge growth is over and production now is for replacement units.
In mature markets, true for the most part.

The Khoisan market has yet to be saturated.

Made in China now?

Article says production going to Romania, which might explain some of the backlash.
(That and the fact the Germans already gave Nokia 117 million dollars!)

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Woah. Overwhelmingly 95% of Romanians I know are the type who would see a leaky gas line, put duct tape over it, and walk away as if it's not their problem. This should be fun!

(Hey boys and girls! Uncle Hedge doesn't think all Romanians are bad peope, or even any Romanians for that matter! The afforementioned people are all good people, and as such I like 'em! They just drive me crazy as bat sh** to work with!)

Thats what I call capitalism at its best.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by johenkel View Post
Exactly. Cheers to Nokia for deciding to bring employment to regions that need and deserve it more.

German politicians on TV every day saying what they're doing to 'deal with the problem'. What problem? If the German government is so clever and great, why aren't *they* building our phones? They can buy the Nokia facility and get right to work.

Germany is getting exactly what it deserves: capital and industry flight. And this thread is solidly off-topic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by johenkel View Post
Which depends on one's perspective of course. Some might say "worst".

I have my own thoughts, having been there and done that, but dare not share them.

"If the German government is so clever and great, why aren't *they* building our phones? They can buy the Nokia facility and get right to work."

Labor cost is a problem all technocratic societies are facing. Germans also recently got a shock when Volkswagon announced their first major cutbacks.

But if Nokia wants to compete an innovative player in the emerging PID and communications market, better PR wouldn't hurt. Apple seems to do this aspect better.