Hey all-
I'm looking to buy your broken 770 that's sitting around collecting dust. Basically, I'm just looking to swap out your functional screen for my cracked one - I know there are a few floating around ebay right now, but I'm on a tight schedule and a shoestring budget, so I figured I'd try here as well. Let me know if you can help me out.

Thanks.

Last edited by QuazAmataz; 2008-01-24 at 00:50. Reason: poor spelling

Hey I know I am new here, I have a 770 with a WSOD but you can swap the video board on the lcd for the one on your cracked screen.

It should only take about 20 minutes for the video swap and maybe 20 or so for the istall.

If you are interested I will let it go battery and 2 stylus, soft baggy case thingy, and the matal slid cover. I unfortunately dont have the charger as I lost it.

In very good cosmetic condition as it wsod 3 days after I got it, just never got around to sending it into nokia you may be able to send it in I dont know.

$25 Bucks and $5 bucks for shipping.

Let me know I can take paypal payment and get it out tomorrow morning wed 23rd. Ebay is ednevell1866

Rick

Last edited by ednevell; 2008-01-23 at 01:41. Reason: forgotten info

my understanding was that WSOD was a screen failure, so your 770 wouldn't actually do me much good. Let me know if I'm mistaken, though.

Isn't the WSOD a hardware, and not a screen, failure? Maybe I'm wrong. Just trying to help out...

No, no. I appreciate it - I'm not actually sure about the WSOD. I was browsing the forums trying to find an answer, but wasn't able to turn anything definitive up. Some people seemed to be implying it was more a screen problem - but I could have been misunderstanding.

See thats why I am undecided my self as it would be great if anybody could come up with an answer as there are alot of 770's dead due to wsod and only a few with cracked screens that could benifit. I mean being able to get a used screen in the us as apossed to pay 160+ for a new one fron JP.

I would be interested in finding out what part fails and if it can be replaced, as apposed to sending it to nokia just to find out that it fails shortly after getting it back.

Sorry I know this is not the place for this question but it has to be confronted sooner or later.

A fix for WSOD would be better than just repeating the same crap with nokia.

Rick

Last edited by ednevell; 2008-01-24 at 00:27. Reason: miss spellied words

My understanding of the WSOD is that the controller fails. (not the LCD panel itself) so depending on how the LCD unit is packaged you may be able to separate the controller from the panel. (some soldering might be needed, depending on how the panel is connected to the controller.)
I have never had my 770 apart, but I would have about a 85-90% confidence that I could do the swap, and that it would work, not having seen the innards myself.
I think that for what he is asking it would be worth a shot.

I someone knows where I can find some tear down photos of a 770 I could be more certain. ( I am lazy, and don't want to search)

-ezra

Someone did a photo-documented dismantling of their 770, which can be found here:
http://www.uselessinfo.pwp.blueyonde...mantlen770.htm

or go to this (http://internettablettalk.com/forums...ad.php?t=15599) thread for photos of the LCD alone. What looks like the controller is in that flex ribbon attached to the screen itself - which means doing any easy swap involves swapping both screen AND the controller. So it looks like any dead 770 that would be useful to me would be non WSOD. If anyone has one floating around, please let me know.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
IIRC, WSOD is a controller failure that permanently corrupts the screen.

I *may* have a dead 770 you could have just for shipping costs. PM me.

Originally Posted by ednevell View Post
Hey I know I am new here, I have a 770 with a WSOD but you can swap the video board on the lcd for the one on your cracked screen.

$25 Bucks and $5 bucks for shipping.

Let me know I can take paypal payment and get it out tomorrow morning wed 23rd. Ebay is ednevell1866

Rick
PM'ed you if it is still available but did not hear back.
David