Active Topics

I partitioned the internal card on my N810 to make the ext2 side a bit bigger than 1.5GB since I didn't expect to be using the FAT side much .... afterall, that's what my external card is for.

Now that the ext2 partition is just about full with KDE and lots of installed apps, how would I go about making more room on the ext2 partition without reflashing and re-installing everything? I'm thinking I need like Partition Magic (tm). Perhaps I could:

- Clone my internal ext2 partition to a spare clean external card. Repartition the internal card to practically all ext2, format, and then clone the partition back from the spare external card. Can I do the cloning by simply updating the assignments in the nupgrade.sh? from
Code:
	INTERNAL=/dev/mmcblk0
	EXTERNAL=/dev/mmcblk1
to
Code:
	INTERNAL=/dev/mmcblk1
	EXTERNAL=/dev/mmcblk0
and back again? I expect I probably need to do more changes to nupgrade.sh...

- Also, I notice there's no information on how to remove KDE if you installed it the old fashioned way, i.e. untarring the KDE and SUP files. If I simply rm'd every file installed by the untar process, would that be safe if not efficient?

Thank you,
Frank

Can't speak for KDE, but to repartition, you'll need a program like Partition Magic. That said, I prefer some of the clones under Linux, such as parted, gparted, or qtparted (the last two are frontends to parted). I've had too many issues with Partition magic fouling up partition tables created by other programs, such as Linux fdisk or sfdisk, or parted. Basically, if you start with PM, stay with PM, if you start with a different program, I'd stick with that. There are several live cds with parted/qtparted installed, in case you don't have linux installed

My procedure would be to do all this under linux, on a desktop, by doing the following.

1. mount the ext2 partition on the linux box

2. tar (using the p switch, to preserve permissions) the entire contents of the ext2 partition, to a file. Using tar will also keep any hidden files you have. This is our backup in case something goes wrong.

3. mount the fat partition, copy anything you wish off the fat partition to a folder on your hard drive. Also a backup in case something goes wrong.

4. unmount both the ext2 and the fat partitions, then resize the partitions using partition magic/qtparted, etc.

5. Assuming everything went well, just put the card back into the device.

Assuming that not everything above went well, just re-partition the card with the desired new sizes, untar (again using the p switch) the contents of the backup you created, and copy anything form the fat partition back to that partition.

(If you're daring, you could just stick the card in and re-size the partitions, but I've learned the hard way too many times....)

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by FGol View Post
I partitioned the internal card on my N810 to make the ext2 side a bit bigger than 1.5GB since I didn't expect to be using the FAT side much .... afterall, that's what my external card is for.

Now that the ext2 partition is just about full with KDE and lots of installed apps, how would I go about making more room on the ext2 partition without reflashing and re-installing everything? I'm thinking I need like Partition Magic (tm). Perhaps I could:

- Clone my internal ext2 partition to a spare clean external card. Repartition the internal card to practically all ext2, format, and then clone the partition back from the spare external card. Can I do the cloning by simply updating the assignments in the nupgrade.sh? from
Code:
	INTERNAL=/dev/mmcblk0
	EXTERNAL=/dev/mmcblk1
to
Code:
	INTERNAL=/dev/mmcblk1
	EXTERNAL=/dev/mmcblk0
and back again? I expect I probably need to do more changes to nupgrade.sh...

- Also, I notice there's no information on how to remove KDE if you installed it the old fashioned way, i.e. untarring the KDE and SUP files. If I simply rm'd every file installed by the untar process, would that be safe if not efficient?

Thank you,
Frank

I am not sure what your trying to do exactly. You could use partition magic or gpartd/qtparted to resize your partitions.

If you want to move it to the external card, just make a new filesystem on the new card, mount it and copy the data from one card to the next.

If you are still running the original KDE358.tar.bz2, there is a v2 out, maybe you should just upgrade to the newer version and set your partitions how you would like them..

KDE v2 @
http://www.tablethacker.com/kde.html
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Hi PB,

I'm basically trying to resize my internal partitions to make more ext2 space available without losing everything. If I can simply copy the ext2 to an external card, repartition the internal one, and then copy everything back with "cp" commands, that'd be easy and I could simply do that. I didn't know if I'd screw up the ability to boot from it by this copy / repartition procedure.

Thank you,
Frank

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by FGol View Post
Hi PB,

I'm basically trying to resize my internal partitions to make more ext2 space available without losing everything. If I can simply copy the ext2 to an external card, repartition the internal one, and then copy everything back with "cp" commands, that'd be easy and I could simply do that. I didn't know if I'd screw up the ability to boot from it by this copy / repartition procedure.

Thank you,
Frank
So just curious Frank... did you ever repartition? Did your method mentioned here work (copy to card ->partition -> copy back)? I'd really like to make my ext2 partition bigger as well but not enough to want to mess with reinstalling everything.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
So just curious Frank... did you ever repartition? Did your method mentioned here work (copy to card ->partition -> copy back)? I'd really like to make my ext2 partition bigger as well but not enough to want to mess with reinstalling everything.

Boot to flash, mount your MMC BOOT partition,then just tar gz it up unzip onto a new larger partition. Works as a great backup alslo.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35