Active Topics

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
If, like me, you have to reboot the n800 to restore the on-screen keyboard after using the igo BT keyboard, please vote for this bug at bugzilla. If you--god that you are--know how to solve this problem, please do chime in below and/or here.

Thanks!

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
i have to do it with USB keyboards, but not the igo...weird

It's happened to me, too. But I'm wondering if it's just because I didn't turn off the keyboard before stowing it away [Blue colours 'FN'+'Backspace'] so the N800 was basically confused and still waiting for the iGo's bluetooth signal when I wanted to use the stylus... .

I'd hate to think I'm my own bug. I've been called 'batty' before, though, so I guess it's possible :-)

Betty Woo,

I'm pretty sure I've tried all possible ways of "unpairing" the iGo, and none are working. General Antilles tells me that he can either let the keyboard just sleep, or else fold it up, and the tablet recognizes that it's no longer in use, and then makes the onscreen keyboard available again.

So I tried the sleep method. And I got excited when the tablet's backlight came on at the precise moment the keyboard went to sleep. I though, HA!, IT RECOGNIZES THE SLEEPING! But, alas, still no on-screen keyboard.

Thanks for your input, though!

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Hmm...

So I use the iGo and type, type, type...

Close the iGo, wait until the blue tooth symbol turns white - maybe 10 seconds - tap into a text area and up pops the on-screen keyboard.

It seems to just work without un-pairing and re-pairing, no fn. keys - just fold it away. I was quite impressed the first time I used it ...

This is on the original N800 OS2008, I have not updated yet.

I guess I have another anomaly: only once--out of many separate uses of the BT keyboard--have I seen the bluetooth symbol in the status bar. Even though the keyboard starts working upon hitting one letter to wake it, there is no bluetooth symbol. Is this super-weird?

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mississauga, ON Canada
This happens to me also when I connect a USB keyboard, as well as a friend of mine who uses a BT keyboard (not iGo).

I don't think that this bug is specific to any brand/interface.

UPDATE: Three times in a row now, I've used the keyboard, then folded it and let the tablet rest for about 10 minutes, and then had the on-screen keyboard appear when requested. Biz-arrr. I'll definitely re-post in a few days to report whether the problem is gone, or is now just appearing intermittently.

UPDATE 2: Holy sh**!! Not only is the on-screen keyboard now popping up after the iGo goes night night, but--for the first time EVER since getting the n800 in Dec--the large full-screen keyboard is popping up when I press my finger on a text entry field!

Who knows how long this will last, but the fact that it's now working is really bizarre....

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mississauga, ON Canada
Murphy's Law

Did you install the latest firmware update?