Notices

Maemo Mapper v2.4 was just released for OS2006, OS2007, and OS2008. The most significant new feature is support for Yahoo Maps and other repositories that use coordinate systems similar to Yahoo Maps's.

A couple of other minor bug fixes and new features were added, including a minor enhancement to the performance of map cache database access. See the changelog for complete details.

As usual, the preferred mechanism by which to install or update Maemo Mapper is via the Maemo Extras repository. The following .install files, when clicked in your nokia device's browser, will automatically add the Maemo Extras repository and install the latest version of Maemo Mapper:

OS2006 (Nokia 770)
OS2007 (Nokia 770, N800)
OS2008 (Nokia N800, N810

The "Click to Install" buttons on the Maemo Downloads website have the same effect. (Be sure the select the appropriate OS version.)

You may also access this and all previous releases of Maemo Mapper in the Files section of Maemo Mapper's Garage website.

CHANGELOG:

* Fixed bug with POI export to GPX (closes #2216)
* Fixed some memory leaks (closes #2099)
* Fixed connectivity issues in Scratchbox (closes #2098)
* Added support for maps that behave like Yahoo Maps.
* Fixed issue with the "Change Folder" dialog when exporting POI to GPX (closes #2217)
* Added button to swap contents of origin and destination in "Download Route" dialog.
* Added "Map Correction" feature, to address the rare problem of inaccurate road data provided by some map repositories in some locations (like Brazil and Québec). Please read the help file before attempting to use this feature.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Hot damn, that's awesome. Time to update.

I was wondering if you know why when using a gps and maemo mapper, the gps would trail off the road like this. This happened to be while I was waiting in the car at a gas station. I wasn't underneath anything either, I remember cause the damn sun was hot today.

Originally Posted by cLin View Post
Hot damn, that's awesome. Time to update.

I was wondering if you know why when using a gps and maemo mapper, the gps would trail off the road like this. This happened to be while I was waiting in the car at a gas station. I wasn't underneath anything either, I remember cause the damn sun was hot today.
Well, if you were really waiting in the car at a gas station (and not driving like a maniac ), then there probably is no explanation other than simple GPS inaccuracy. It does seem strange that there might not be anything interfering with the GPS signals that you're receiving, but Maemo Mapper doesn't do any translation or modification of the data that it gets from your GPS receiver - what you see is what Maemo Mapper got. So, it's probably just a momentary signal lapse.

For what it's worth, Maemo Mapper does try to "ignore" GPS data that is "sufficiently close" to previous data, based somewhat on the "dilution of precision" (roughly correlated with the estimated error) of the GPS fix. But the effectiveness of that varies quite wildly from GPS receiver to GPS receiver, depending on how well a particular one measures DOP. And the code tends to err on the side of safety, so in many cases, it will plot data that a human would probably throw out.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i have seen a dancing location indicator when it has a poor signal...

btw, i posted a feature request some time ago, about how to make it easier to download maps without using auto download or having to dig into the menu and dialogs...

feature request 2248 to be exact...

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
For what it's worth, Maemo Mapper does try to "ignore" GPS data that is "sufficiently close" to previous data, based somewhat on the "dilution of precision" (roughly correlated with the estimated error) of the GPS fix. But the effectiveness of that varies quite wildly from GPS receiver to GPS receiver, depending on how well a particular one measures DOP. And the code tends to err on the side of safety, so in many cases, it will plot data that a human would probably throw out.
I was going to ask if it did that but forgot to. Is there anyway to add your own buffer?

Not specific to this release, but is there any reason that adding a POI will only let you add the coords in decimal and not in the specified format in setup? I usually use dd mm.mmm, but have to whip out the calculator, or go online for the conversion when I want to manually add a POI.

"Added button to swap contents of origin and destination in "Download Route" dialog."

Now *THAT* is an extremely useful feature ! Thanks !

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
The most significant new feature is support for Yahoo Maps and other repositories that use coordinate systems similar to Yahoo Maps's.
I have upgraded to version 2.4 and do not see any mention of Yahoo in the Maps menu. There are only options for OpenMaps, Google, and Virtual Earth. Am I missing something?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Have you tried downloading repos in m mapper?

I even see it in 2.3.4

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, it gives me a error when i try to use any of the yahoo ones. something about being unable to create a database or something. and i still have 27MB available...