Notices

The Maemo Mapper Help file is now available on the internet. Previously, this end-user documentation was only accessible directly within Maemo Mapper. By publishing it online, you can now use your desktop or tablet web browser to view the help file. The web version is accessible via the following URLs:

English: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...t=maemo-mapper
Finnish: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...t=maemo-mapper

The web version of the help file is generated from the built-in version, so the two versions will always be identical.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Mmm . . . very tasty indeed.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Great, thanks.

I think the Finnish version could need some correction of orthography and grammar. There are also some sentence structures in the Finnish version which could be simplified. After all, this is a manual. How can I help with the translation?

Last edited by Tragos; 2008-03-17 at 09:28.

Great idea, thanks ! It's good to have it in the app when you've forgotten how to do something, but it's probably better to have it on the big screen to read up and discover all the things you didn't know were there... :-)

Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
Great, thanks.

I think the Finnish version could need some correction of orthography and grammar. There are also some sentence structures in the Finnish version which could be simplified. After all, this is a manual. How can I help with the translation?
Marko Vertainen is my Finnish translator (thanks, Marko!), and so far he has been very responsive in keeping the GUI and help file up-to-date. If you'd like to provide corrections, however, go to the Maemo Mapper Garage page and press the Request to Join button (or just use that link), and mention that you'd like to help maintain the Finnish translations.

The same goes for anyone else that would like to help contribute to translations for Maemo Mapper. If you'd like to give back to the community by providing a translation that doesn't already exist (or by helping to maintain an existing translation), just request to join the team. And thanks!

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
Great, thanks.

My translation needs actually lots of corrections as it's done very quickly. I just thought that better to release it and wait for the comments than try to make it perfect from the start just by myself

It would be great if you and also other Finns could help to maintain and update it so that it could come same level with the rest of the Maemo Mapper.

Also it would make this translation better if someone could go though translation of the program itself. There are many menu items translated such a way that even I don't like them. These needs to be fixed separately for the translation of the program and the help file.

If there will be many contributors for this translation we will need some way to communicate and synchronize our work.

As gnuite already mentioned, best way to help maintain this translation is to go garage page and join to project. I can try to help with technical stuff as much as I can. My email is marko.vertainen ÄT iki.fi. Feel free to drop me a mail if you have any questions about the translation or the translation process.

The Following User Says Thank You to mve For This Useful Post:
Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Thanks for the answers, gnuite and mve. I just filled the Garage registration form. I'll try to login later today, after work.

I have used previously Maemo Mapper in English, as OS2006 on my 770 doesn't have Finnish as option. But I noticed it is possible to launch MM in Finnish after export LANGUAGE=fi_FI in Xterm. The program itself seems to be nicely translated. Great work, Marko. Only the help file had some things I'd like to be corrected. Most of these were related to different sentence structures of English and Finnish languages. So some sentences should be rewritten instead of translating word-by-word.

And I would like to mention that IMHO Maemo Mapper is the most useful app on the ITs. I'm happy if I can give something back to the community.