Active Topics

Notices

Brad Lassey of Mozilla posted a message to his blog today.
See: http://blog.mozilla.com/blassey/2008...aemo-buildbot/

In short, we now have a working build of FF 3.0 beta 4 (ish).

First, download this:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/xul...ux-arm.tar.bz2

Then bunzip -d it.
Then tar xvf.

You'll have an ./xulrunner directory.

cd to it, and run:
./xulrunner --register-global

Now, you'll want to download one of the xulrunner apps.
The best one so far seems to be (http://wiki.mozilla.org/images/1/15/...ser-atotic.zip).

You'll need to unzip that file, and cd to the touchscreenbrowser directory, and then make a new zipfile named touchscreenbrowser.xulapp. Make sure that the files in the directory are at the root of the zipfile (so that if you unzip it again, all the files are uncompressed into the current directory).

Then install it, by typing ./xulrunner --install-app ~./touchscreenbrowser.xulapp (or whever it is).

You should then be able to go to /usr/lib/samsung/touchscreenbrowser/, and then start it by typing ./touchscreenbrowser.

Of the apps on lassey's page, this one seems the best. It can scroll via dragging (unlike the simple browser), and unlike the other touchscreen app, the text is zoomed correctly on this one.

Oh, and the user agent is already hard-coded to the iPhone.

Clearly, this is a work in progress. But the nice part is that the browser can now be written in javascript. One or two ITT members could quickly fix up most of the problems with this demo.

Already, I find this browser to be nicer than MicroB - although it is a wee bit slower for pageload. Page nav is much faster though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genome4hire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Hope future releases of MicroB will use refreshed Gecko cause I think that man should be a nobel price carrier to install that xD

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- TTIWWOSS (this thread is worthless without screen shots)...

:-)

- and while i'm not adverse to arcane installs, this is has to be the most interesting i've read about in a while... kudos to the programmers for the port!

- but i think i'll wait for a .deb....

i dont see how having FF3 on maemo is speical. we already have a mozilla based browser, and its really annoying (its slow a lot).

unless FF3 is a lot faster or something, i dont see whats special about this. if its too slow, extensions are gonna be a pain. spyware vulnerability is already out of the question, so wuts the difference?

on a PC however of course it'll be a big change (example: from IE7 to FF3). even FF2 to FF3 wont be much of a difference besides the stupid memory leak being gone

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Very cool. And at the same time, I wonder what the microB engine status really if such a port has been done. Is not microB built from a similar/same engine and codebase?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by OppositeOfIgnorance View Post
i dont see how having FF3 on maemo is speical. we already have a mozilla based browser, and its really annoying (its slow a lot).
Assuming MicroB is being updated with Diablo, this should change fairly soon.

Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
- TTIWWOSS (this thread is worthless without screen shots)...

:-)

- and while i'm not adverse to arcane installs, this is has to be the most interesting i've read about in a while... kudos to the programmers for the port!

- but i think i'll wait for a .deb....
[Taken from Brad Lassey's page]

The Following User Says Thank You to genome4hire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
What'd be interesting is if XUL(Runner) was auto-Hildonising, as Java-based SWT apps are with SWT. Then the menu bar will automagically become a drop-down menu.

I think I've resigned myself to this not happening any time soon with Gtk+, which is a shame as an ApplicationMenuHandler interface would also benefit ROX-based distributions and attempts to make a Mac-like desktop based on Linux.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Just saw this http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...and-opera.html
Hopefully microb engine will benefit from this and match Opera engine at least in memory footprint if not speed.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-03-18 at 15:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Cupertino, CA
This particular release isn't Firefox, it's XULRunner.

XULRunner is basically the core Mozilla platform, which other apps can use to build on top of. But it *is* built using most of the same parts Firefox 3 is built on. In the future, Firefox and Thunderbird will likely be apps running on XULRunner. (They can actually be built that way today, but they won't be shipped as such.)

Brad has previously blogged about getting Firefox (well, "Minefield", as the development version is known) running on the N800.