Posts: 41 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Helsinki
Hello
I need advice. I'm going buy new memory card (sdhc) and install KDE there.

1. What memory card quality is required? I mean if the card will be too slow? Or it dosn't matter at all? Anyone know about "A-Data" or "PQI" cards? 65euro for 16Gb sounds good

2. Probably I will reinstall OS, so where better install? Now I have problem, that i can't access memory card (using usb) if some file is open. So i need to close few programs before connecting to PC. If I put OS to memory card, will it mean that it will be impossible access it from PC?

3. Power. Will kde consume much more power than without it? E.g. now I used about 40% of power per day (so i 'll recharge it every day).

1: I've seen only two brands of 16GB SDHC mentioned here by users, one is the A-Data and the other is the Patriot (the latter is more expensive). Both are reported to work, can't say I remember anything about speed for the A-Data but the Patriot is reported to be fast. My guess is that the A-Data will be fast enough, as most new/high-capacity cards are pretty much hitting the N800 speed limit anyway.
EDIT: I forgot the Transcend 16GB card, mentioned below by another poster - it's been mentioned here on ITT before. So, three brands (so far)

2: Presumably.

3: Don't know - someone actually using KDE will have to answer that one.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2008-04-02 at 10:04.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
1: I've seen only two brands of 16GB SDHC mentioned here by users, one is the A-Data and the other is the Patriot (the latter is more expensive). Both are reported to work, can't say I remember anything about speed for the A-Data but the Patriot is reported to be fast. My guess is that the A-Data will be fast enough, as most new/high-capacity cards are pretty much hitting the N800 speed limit anyway.

2: Presumably.

3: Don't know - someone actually using KDE will have to answer that one.
In one of the humongous threads about installing the os on the mmc there's a mention of having to low level format the A-Data cards.
Read carefully, there's only about 600 posts to wade thru
PLEASE use the Wiki

look for a Class 6 (6mb/s) card. I've got two 4GB class 4 cards... so they could be a little faster.

you said 16 but not sure if you mean on 1 card
kingston 8gigger: http://www.adorama.com/KGSD68GB.html...06983711790549

transcend 16gb class 6 http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-16GB.../dp/B0010Z28XG

a-data 16 g class 6 card: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...OTC-GOOGLEBASE

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Helsinki
ok, thx

Meraxupypr,

Been using both Patriot and A-Data 16gb class 6 cards for several months on n800 with dual boot and KDE. It's an awesome setup. Don't get anything but class 6. The class 4 and lower gave me constant problems(corrupted files, reboot, freezing up, etc...) I've not had one problem with class 6 cards. Looking to get 32gb cards when prices come down on the class 6. Dan

Originally Posted by dan View Post
Don't get anything but class 6. The class 4 and lower gave me constant problems(corrupted files, reboot, freezing up, etc...)
I'll second that. I've had issues with my internal SD from the beginning.