Hey everyone,

I am working on a project for my school and we have wrote a maemo gui application to be used on the n810. It consists of a simple C code which we have compiled and tested inside scratchbox and actually run on the xephyr "emulator".

The gui functions fine, we are in need of the proper and easy way to create a debian package to install it on the device.

Thanks for reading,
Josh

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC
Ummm....Josh, although the folks here are very helpful and incredibly talented (and generally willing to help answer anyone's question), you run the risk of angering people when you post 3 times in three different threads all within three minutes. These posts are not always answered....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eetimm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eetimm View Post
Ummm....Josh, although the folks here are very helpful and incredibly talented (and generally willing to help answer anyone's question), you run the risk of angering people when you post 3 times in three different threads all within three minutes. These posts are not always answered....

Sorry for thinking forums were about HELPING one another and not a bunch of self righteous code monkeys who throw their weight around over the internet... you know, cause saying things in person is dangerous...

(eetimm, what are you 25 posts deep? 'Big man' huh?)

Thanks to anyone who is decent enough to help.

-Josh

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lxlmurdoclxl View Post
Sorry for thinking forums were about HELPING one another and not a bunch of self righteous code monkeys who throw their weight around over the internet... you know, cause saying things in person is dangerous...
Mmm . . . that's the right attitude to direct at somebody who is trying to help you out.

Pro tip: Attitude matters!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Mmm . . . that's the right attitude to direct at somebody who is trying to help you out.

Pro tip: Attitude matters!
Yea,

you both helped me out a ton.

Yea,

you both helped me out a ton.
Oh Josh!, grow up.

I was gonna post about how you posted multiple post on multiple categories but i forgot to, it bothered me a lot though - I'm positive it did with other forum browsers.

Ok, about packaging software for easy installation in debian. You do realize you don't need to actually package it, you just need a compiler on your device, and do the usual configure && make && install. I myself am a linux noob, only switched to a linux computer as my desktop + portable sometime in last February.

And there are plenty of docs to use as reference to build a debian package for ITOS.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li.../l-debpkg.html

and

http://people.connexer.com/~roberto/..._packaging.pdf

Ok 'nuff said. I quickly read through the IBM debpkg doc and its too much to repeat for you, take a gander.

We understand you need this for school, but serously, as the hitchhickers guide to the galaxy goes "DON'T PANIC." I forgot my towel though :\ ...

But seriously, because you can't do your own research you want other people to hold you hand... there is some guidance I hope it helps...

[EDIT]lucky you - i don't have the kind of money you had for a ~200-400 dollar tablet, I'm jealous [/EDIT]

Last edited by scumgrief; 2008-04-07 at 05:25. Reason: missed a jealous point :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scumgrief For This Useful Post:
Hey everyone,

I am working on a project for my school and we have wrote a maemo gui application to be used on the n810. It consists of a simple C code which we have compiled and tested inside scratchbox and actually run on the xephyr "emulator".

The gui functions fine, we are in need of the proper and easy way to create a debian package to install it on the device.

Thanks for reading,
Josh

Xephyr's not an emulator - it's a Kdrive based XServer. If anything QEMU's the emulator, scratchbox the cross-compilation toolkit.

Google is your friend - the first link talks about manually creating a deb, the 3rd is maemo's recommended way including a tutorial.

It's not easy, practice makes perfect.

On other notes:
Posting in 3 different forums is bad, mmkay?

Having a pop at people who highlight the above is bad, mmkay?

Post-count does not imply karma or a right to speak above others [this includes me] - so to imply as much is bad, mmkay?

This is a development related question imo - so should have been posted there. Not one of your 3 posts was in the right place. [I appreciate that may be debatable though.]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yabbas For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by scumgrief View Post

But seriously, because you can't do your own research you want other people to hold you hand... there is some guidance I hope it helps...

[EDIT]lucky you - i don't have the kind of money you had for a ~200-400 dollar tablet, I'm jealous [/EDIT]
Scum,

I really appreciate the time you took to answer my question. (no sarcasm) I actually think that pdf of some professors power point will actually help me get this package built. Part of the problem we are having is the lack of identifiers for each man-page. For that, i thank you.

Second, ive done my research, i asked for no hand holding, i asked for advice. I am a pretty chill dude but when someone comes on here just assuming they understand the situation without even asking any constructive questions... its a bit frustrating.

Still, thanks for the response, the PDF really helped.

P.S. i don't have $400 either, the devices we are developing on belong to the school. :P

peace,
josh

Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
Xephyr's not an emulator - it's a Kdrive based XServer.

Your right, xephyrs not an emulator. thats the reasons for the quotes. i was kind of in a rush when i wrote the post and that was the quickest way i could put it without getting into technical detail.

Thanks for the maemo guide... i actually read that... like 43,987 times... i think i had less of an idea how to create the proper Debian package after reading that then i did before.

We know how to run stand-alones in scratchbox, our trouble solely lies in creating the proper debian package that can be accepted by
the n810's application manager.

we basically have the source written in maemo and gtk+2.0 (i think)

maybe it would help if i posted the source......

Thanks everyone, this is getting really helpful (no sarcasm)

josh

here is the source that we need to make into a debian package, acceptable by the n810s application manager

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jam811/dev/