this might be common knowledge, but i haven't read anything about it, so i thought it might be useful for other tablet users. i found that holding down the home button on my n800 brings me straight to the home screen. this is useful when i need to check the time or open another app. also, holding down the back button closes the active application. this is much quicker than pressing the full screen button and the x to close. it sometimes closes a frozen app too.
sorry if this thread is a duplicate or common knowledge.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to debudebu For This Useful Post:
I actually did not know that holding down the home button will minimize all the apps. Thanks.

At least in OS2007, that was not in the user manual; many of us figured it out, but many probably didn't.

Really, I think there's a tips and tricks section in the wiki... perhaps that's where this sorta thing should go.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
At least in OS2007, that was not in the user manual...
In OS2008, it's in "Help".

EDIT: And now, by watching the "Thanks!" on the thread starter, we can see who doesn't read documentation.

(Don't mind me. I'm currently writing documentation that no one will ever read.)

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2008-04-11 at 19:53. Reason: Adding a comment that hopefully comes across as more humorous than snarky

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I already knew that

Also pressing home repeatedly cycles through apps and holding home on the highlighted app switches to it.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-04-11 at 18:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I figured this out

Also pressing home repeatedly cycles through apps and holding home on the highlighted app switches to it.
That behavior's new in 2008; unfortunately, it doesn't work from a BT keyboard with Alt-Tab. (Alt-Tab deploys the menu, but won't index through it.)

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
when I dumped gconf there were a number of keyboard only shortcuts that were listed. Some of them like Ctrl-e ( global search ) work on the n810, others do not.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
I already knew that

this is nice. i didn't realize that holding the home button selected the app.