Hi,

I am looking for an gui-based ftp-client for my N770.
(I had no success with tnftp)

Please, I can't believe that I have not even found one yet.

Originally Posted by niko
Hi,

I am looking for an gui-based ftp-client for my N770.
(I had no success with tnftp)

Please, I can't believe that I have not even found one yet.
I am not sure of any GUI based FTP-Clients, but you can use a browser based FTP like www.web2ftp.com

I use it all the time at and it's pretty much the same thing as an FTP program and it's FREE.

Thanks for your reply, kutibah.

I would not feel secure telling a third party I don't know all my passwords for my ftp accounts.

Thanks for your reply, kutibah.

I would not feel secure telling a third party I don't know all my passwords for my ftp accounts.
Yes, I agree with you. I had that concern at first. But if you really think about it, it would be hard for them to monitor all the passwords because its a script that logs in for you. I'm not saying they wouldn't do it, but there would be no reason for them to want to steal the passwords or do anything with them. But of course, that's your decision. It's a great alternative if your work/school blocks FTP

Originally Posted by kutibah
it would be hard for them to monitor all the passwords because its a script
This is what makes it quite easy.

What happens here:
It is not only the login that is managed, it's the whole file handling.

You connect yourself with www.web2ftp.com. Your entrance dates can be stored on purpose automatic (maybe also without bad motive at first, however, imagine the company is taken over or hacked) or by chance. Maybe it's only an accesslog where they are stored and through coincidence they come into the net.

Furthermore (now I can only presume) the files you want to upload are reached to the web2ftp-perlscript and transmitted to your wish server.
It is easy for the script to analyse your files, store copies and to modify before they land on your wish server.

I am sure, you can imagine more misusage.

regards,
Niko

A port of Gftp would certainly be welcome. I would not trust third parties with my ftp login/password either.

This is what makes it quite easy.

What happens here:
It is not only the login that is managed, it's the whole file handling.

You connect yourself with www.web2ftp.com. Your entrance dates can be stored on purpose automatic (maybe also without bad motive at first, however, imagine the company is taken over or hacked) or by chance. Maybe it's only an accesslog where they are stored and through coincidence they come into the net.

Furthermore (now I can only presume) the files you want to upload are reached to the web2ftp-perlscript and transmitted to your wish server.
It is easy for the script to analyse your files, store copies and to modify before they land on your wish server.

I am sure, you can imagine more misusage.

regards,
Niko
Yes, I understand that. But it also depends on what you host on the server. For my case, I just host a small proxy site in which I use at my school =) so if they do steal the passwords, they really don't get any usefullness out of it. But if your hosting an online store with potential credit card info, it can be dangerous.

Sure, but even if you dont care about your data.

You can get some trouble ist some scriptkiddys use your ftp accout for storing their scripts at your server. You can't imagen how many entries i find in my access logs where scripts from hacked servers are tried to be loaded in my content management systems...

Niko, I hate to say it but i think your opinion has been corrupted from seeing too much evil; it's like the case of a policeman, he sees crime and evil all day long, so the result is he expects everyone to be plotting something horrible.

No offense to you, but im sure the rest of us don't have this happen to us.

Originally Posted by Coolty
Niko, I hate to say it but i think your opinion has been corrupted from seeing too much evil; it's like the case of a policeman, he sees crime and evil all day long, so the result is he expects everyone to be plotting something horrible.

No offense to you, but im sure the rest of us don't have this happen to us.
I agree. Many of my friends are very uneasy about buying things online because of their fear of credit card theft. I on the other hand purchase items from hundreds of different online stores and some that are very small. Never once have I had a problem. I think this fear of the internet originated in the mid-1990's when there was no such thing as encryption. But everything is much safer now...