I'm trying to pair the new Apple bluetooth "chiclet" keyboard with my N800, so far without success. When I enter the control panel, select "Bluetooth Keyboard", "generic 105", "pair" it recognizes the keyboard, generates a four digit code, but refuses to pair. Any ideas on what I'm doing incorrectly?

I've noticed that a few people on this board are apparently using Apple bluetooth keyboards, but I'm unsure of which models. Perhaps one of you can give me a few ideas as to what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

I will bet a dollar you are typing the 4-digit code on the keyboard and pressing "enter". You need to press "shift-enter". Viola.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to microfab For This Useful Post:
Thanks, microfab. But when I try to use the "shift-enter" on the N800 onscreen keyboard, the shift is "greyed out" and not thus not accessible. Is there some other way to do this? I'll send you the dollar if you supply the answer.

Pretty sure he means the Apple keyboard, not the 800. When it says "pairing" on the 800, you need to type the 4 digit code on the Apple keyboard and hit enter or shift-enter.

I can't use the Apple keyboard because it isn't recognizable by the N800 until it's "paired". Or perhaps I'm missing something here. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
to pair two devices using bluetooth, both have to have the same code entered. i think its done to make sure that if your in a croweded area, you dont try to pair up with a device close to you thats of the same kind or something like that.

as in, you have two devices. say a phone and a tablet. on each you enter the same code, and this tells each device that the other is the one its supposed to pair with.

some devices, like headsets, have a set code (often 0000) that they use. some keyboards have this, others do not. this because a keyboard has a way to enter a specific code. only problem is that they do not have a display to tell you if you enter the right code, or that its expecting you to enter a code at all...

the thing to remember there is that your not trying to enter something on the other device. your just telling each device what code to expect from the other one.

i guess one can compare it to a agreed handshake between people, so that they know they have found the right person or something like that.

it seems that this is the one thing that trips up most people when it comes to bluetooth, and probably the reason why the bluetooth SIG (the group that sets the bluetooth standard) is working on a wait to pair devices by bringing each device close together or into contact with each other.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
I have Apple BT keyboard at N800. That small new one.

When I did pair keyboard, N800 did show code, then I did enter code with keyboard and press enter many times.. Then suddenly it did pair ok.

It wont show anything at N800 screen when you press numbers at keyboard and thats why i did think that it wont work.. And it also neede press enter manytimes..

You can do it

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Moscow
Thanks microfab, this has worked on N810 and new Apple keyboard. Here's exactly what should be done: you turn the keyboard on, go on N810 to Control Panel>Bluetooth Keyboard, set to Generic PC and English, click Pair, then put your code (any 4 digits, may be 0000 for simplicity), then on Apple keyboard shift-enter 0000 or whatever you'd chosen. Then it works.
You may use dual language layout (so that you can temporarily type in the second language while holding down right alt) but it requires switching to Nokia SU8-W keyboard type and your language in settings (at least it works with Globster's russian layouts). Keyboard shortcuts will work also with Alt (for closing a window, press Alt-Ctrl-W).

Last edited by sashabe; 2008-04-29 at 19:11.

1.click Pair, then put your code (any 4 digits, may be 0000 for simplicity)
2.then on Apple keyboard shift-enter 0000 or whatever you'd chosen. Then it works.
It's done with my microsoft bluetooth keyboard!
Cool!!!

Wow. I recently picked up a lightly used Apple wireless (BT) keyboard through the local Craigslist site. It is a fine accessory to the n800. After the initial pairing, the keyboard is always "ready to go", since it naturally goes into a low power mode instead of turning off.

I certainly am not a fan of Apple products, in part because of being closed source and in part because of product price fixing; but their BT keyboard truly complements the n800.