After trying cingular, which was touted as being very fast, it felt like a 9600 baud old-school modem it was so slow!

I had almost given up on my dream of having high-speed Internet on my Nokia 770 Tablet when l stumbled over the Sprint/Samsung SPH-A940 at Best Buy. Bluetooth, PCS Digital, 2.0 MegaPixel, with Camcording feutures. Awesome phone and only $200.

After connecting FINALLY l was blown away! The speed is absolutely phenomenal especially for MOBILE Internet! At least home DSL speeds! The price? $39/mo, up to $69 cap for exceeding 40 megs of Downloading per day. lIOW, if you exceed 40 Megs, you are charged a fee to continue Downloading, and if you exceed 60 megs, the Downloading service of your provider switches off for the rest of the day and the total fees can get no higher than $69 per mo. That's on Sprint's ?Phone as Modem? plan.

IHere are the settings that no in-store tech will have the first CLUE about.

Control panel> Tools> ?Mobile Operator Setup Wizard.? Change the name to ?Sprint EV-DO? and hit ?Next.? Choose your Country and Select ?None? in the Mobile Operator drag-down box because Nokia doesn't have any settings yet though they SHOULD since Sprint works the best with their device!

NOW... go: Control Panel> Connectivity
find the ?Sprint EV-DO? Connection, select it and hit ?Connections.?

Now choose ?Edit? and click in the ?Data packet? radio button and hit Next.

Now dial Sprint's # for TECH support : 866-273-2163.

Ask the tech to reset your password because they don't have access to it and nobody can tell you what it is and the Service Plan doesn't come with that information.

Here is what you'll need to know for the 3 lines it asks you to fill in next:

phone no: #777
user name: yourusername@modem.sprintpcs.com (all lowercase)
pass: (Sprint's rep resets and tells you)

now click ?Finish? and that's it!

Now wait 10-45 mins for you reset password to take effect, and enjoy the fastest Nokia 770 phone experience currently available!

Hopes this helps, since I spent 4 stress-filled hours trying to get it working.
Now YOU shouldn't have to!!

Ciao.

p.s. board corrupted my ?? quotes. where you see ????? it was quotes. written on 770 so forgive brevity.

Last edited by Ceklund; 2006-05-13 at 22:02. Reason: board changed all my Quotation Marks into??question?? marks...not my fault!

After using my Razr phone via cingular gprs, I was kind-of bemused...

REALLY slow, like 28.8 slow!!

Then, lucky me, a student of mine STOLE the Razr. I was heartbroken, because it was such a pretty phone, but, perhaps all that miniaturization prevented Motorola from including EDGE (faster variant of gprs) in the phone.

I got a used Sony/Erikson

and, although it is pretty beefy (I think I could probably at least knock someone out with a head-shot), it has EDGE and a CCD camera.

Now, internet is totally fast enough to do anything I want (not quite as fast as broadband), but I think bluetooth has its limitations, too,
so it probably wouldnt make it any faster if I had cingular UTMS
(probably a bit faster than average broadband, but VERY limited coverage until 2007...)

Cingular medianet unlimited is 19.95 a month, and, although they promised me I can't use the Nokia770 thru bluetooth and get access,
I can, and it doesn't cost a penny over 19.95 no matter how much I use it!!!

DC

I just got a Motorola e815, along with Verizon Wireless's $59/month unlimited data for your laptop.

It works quite nicely on my 770. I've been using it with Maemo Mapper, and it's really nice. On my laptop, I often measure 600 kilobits/s downloads and 60 kilobits/s uploads. They also give you an actual routable IP address that accepts incoming connections.

I don't like the way that Verizon disables features on your phone to make you use their picture messaging service instead of Bluetooth on your phone. I also don't like the way you can't install your own ring tones from your own MIDI files.

However, the data service just works, no hacking required, and it's really fast.

So it is 40 meg per day? I thought it was limited to 40 meg per month. This is great.
Can you use BT to browser images on the phone?

PAM=Phone As Modem.

It's confusing because 40 megs won't cover the average user's daily needs, let alone whole MONTH! The Service Agreement actually intends the 40 megs to last the whole month, but they are either insane, or they are blind to the average user's needs, which makes them foolish. BUT ... under the rules, it's called an UNLIMITED data plan.... so how can it be 40 megs, since that would be a limitation? The rules do make it clear that anyone who is a data hog can be terminated, but then they fail to define (in meggage) what a DATA HOG IS in ttheir eyes. The service does prevent you from downloading more than 60 megs in one day, but when you load up the internet the next day, it's able to save files again. I don't know why they didn't just charge us $70 a month like everyone else and leave us alone about how much we d/l, save that if you should not use your service for a few weeks, you might save a few dollars that month, which would be nice.

I think they were justtrying to get a few more people to sign up thinking 'I can get High Speed for only $39 a month? Wow!'.....

They did shut my phone off until I pay for 'breaking my plan' but the internet is still on. Just another trick to keep our dollars flowing into them....

Later.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Originally Posted by dcarter
After using my Razr phone via cingular gprs, I was kind-of bemused...

REALLY slow, like 28.8 slow!!
While I'm a T-mobile customer, I've replaced my RAZR with a Samsung t509. It's not very feature rich, but it's small, light, has bluetooth and EDGE, and it can be had for as little as $49.95.

Plus it pairs with my 770 on the first try, not like the marathon sessions I've always had in the past with the v3.

Worth a look.

Brad.

For what it's worth, I was able to get my n770 paired with my coworkers razrv3 from the first try. I'm using it2006, maybe that's the reason?

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ OC, CA
I am using a Sony w810i and it works flawlessly.

Originally Posted by konfoo
I am using a Sony w810i and it works flawlessly.
I also have the Sony-Ericsson W810i but I can't seem to get it to work. Of course i'm trying this on the Rogers network in Canada.

I am subscribed to Edge Packet Data though. The techs at Rogers are really clueless and can't help me much.

Care to share your general procedure for getting it to work? Any special settings on your phone itself?

Thanks
-Sandstorm

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ OC, CA
I used the guides on these forums for cingular to configure the 770. The w810i was configured with the following url:

http://sonyericsson.wdsglobal.com/wo...?contractId=12

Use this to configure your phone for edge, email, gprs and sms/mms. It will send the config to your phone and load it up with the right parameters. If youre still having problems check www.howardforums.com

BTW I am also using EDGE