Active Topics

Notices

Hello,

Why not create a project on maemo to get PC Suite syncing with GPE or the built in Contacts!

Anyone think that it's possible? if so, anyone wants to help with ideas on how to do it?

I think this is the major flaw of the OS, because a lot of people use outlook in the office

Nokia PC Suite is a pig. The faster it dies, the better.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
PC Suite is one of the works pieces of software out there. Multiple incompatible versions required for different phones... YUCK!

Apparently pimlico's stuff syncs with evolution now... that's a first step. I think in the end, opensync has to be supported, maybe using SyncML. AFAIK, that's the only "standard" there is for syncing.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hamburg, Germany
Ok, i can tell you what i am working on about the moment:
i am totally raping the Google API as i am sitting on an online PIM for my
n800 - what means that it even will work with the n810

But at the moment the Google API is raping me back *sigh*
so that development is realy realy slooooooow.

Instead of syncing i also suggest or to use GPE with Erming
or check other online applications.

So for outlook/exchange server we have:

Outlook->GoogleCalendar->Herming->GPE (only for calendar)

Outlook->Funanbol->ScheduleWorld->OpenSync->Pimlico/GPE (calendar/contacts)

Outlook->Exchange->MAPI->N800 email client (for email)

Right?

I thinks there's a lot of steps in the process!!!

Found a solution....

In exchange server:
1 - In AD create a contact with my gmail acount
2 - In AD forward all the email to my gmail acount
3 - Sync calendar with "Google Calendar Sync"
4 - Export all my contacts to CSV and import to GMail

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Stockholm / CLE
I currently use the n810 for business as a market rep in europe. As I must travel with product samples, the ability to shed any weight, and leave my laptop at home, is a huge benefit.

The NIT n810 has been a godsend for me. I have email, browsing, mapping, internet telephony, document viewing, and PIM. All with extended battery life.

The inability to sync my PIM (GPE) with Outlook is a major usability gap at this time. All calendar, contacts, email, and to-do list, ought to sync between programs. The value, to me, is in this content. A popular solution set might look like the following:

OUTLOOK > < GOOGLE (Cal/gmail/contact/to-do?) > < GPE + CLAWS

As I am not a developer, nor strong linux user (though I have had some exposure to linux before Maemo), I find it difficult, and time consuming, to implement some of the current hacks suggested.

While I understand that some if not most linux developers have a bias against microsoft products, the reality is that XP and MS Office are quite prevelant. That said, I do not use Exchange Server, but rather GMAIL as the backend mail service.

I hope that the folks at Nokia are paying attention, and will roll out a solution, as the platform itself is close to perfect for my needs.

Now, if I could just find some method of n810 PowerPoint presentation.........

Last edited by JohnL; 2008-04-29 at 10:24.

Outlook->Yahoo autosync-> My yahoo page for Contacts/Todo/Calendar

Is there a way to sync GPE with Yahoo?

Regards,
Ricardo

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by m_stolle View Post
PC Suite is one of the works pieces of software out there. Multiple incompatible versions required for different phones... YUCK!
That's actually inaccurate. While there *are* three versions of PC Suite (vanilla, Nseries and Eseries), the vanilla one will sync with any recent Nokia handset. I can personally vouch that I've used the same version of the app to sync an N95, N82, E90, 6263, and 6126 (Nseries, Eseries, and S40) with no issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcadden For This Useful Post:
I agree, only use one version of pc suite now (although many many years ago this was not true ... and if you have a really old phone then you are stuck with the old ways).