I thought that some might get a kick out of this. Sorry if it has already been posted but I haven't seen it on here. I was browsing Best Buy's site and came across the "customer reviews" for the N810 and found one describing the N810 as "the best phone ever designed". This is either a staged review used to hype up the product (and done horribly wrong), a complete *****, or Best Buy has magically gotten an advanced model of the N810 that has a cellular radio (considering the "reviewer" apparently gets reception EVERYWHERE!).

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
Wow, this really does seem staged, however very horribly. I guess they could have been referring to VOIP when they say "reception" but it's not like you get wifi EVERYWHERE.

If you look hard enough there's all kinds of weird, misleading reviews on retail sites. I wonder if some people post on there drunk or on drugs or something. There seems to be very little quality control, judging by the number of "Free Xbox - click here!" spammers who make it onto review sections.

When Nintendogs came out there were reviewers posting on Amazon telling people to wait for the Sony PSP version. Which isn't going to happen, obviously.

Lol, PSP version? Sounds like a bunch of trolls.

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bristol, UK
It's not uncommon for staff at a firm to post reviews of a product they are selling to boost awareness. I always ignore those comments as many are faked. Sadly it's often those who know least about a product which seem to post.

Originally Posted by siralien View Post
It's not uncommon for staff at a firm to post reviews of a product they are selling to boost awareness. I always ignore those comments as many are faked. Sadly it's often those who know least about a product which seem to post.
They probably have to post for dozens of products, don't have time to look up all their details.

To be fair to the "reviewer", loads of shops STILL list the Nokia tablets in their "phone" section, and they list the iPod Touch in their "music player" section. Retailers seem to be struggling to classify them.

Yes. It seems anything branded Nokia is automatically considered CELL PHONE and anything with "iPod" in it is a MUSIC PLAYER. Music player seems fair for the Touch, though it does so much more; it's certainly not a PDA though. But the n800 is certainly NOT A CELL PHONE. I'd consider the n800 a umpc, though not by default; you kind of have to customize it to actually consider it a umpc.

Originally Posted by obstacles can kill View Post
I thought that some might get a kick out of this. Sorry if it has already been posted but I haven't seen it on here. I was browsing Best Buy's site and came across the "customer reviews" for the N810 and found one describing the N810 as "the best phone ever designed". This is either a staged review used to hype up the product (and done horribly wrong), a complete *****, or Best Buy has magically gotten an advanced model of the N810 that has a cellular radio (considering the "reviewer" apparently gets reception EVERYWHERE!).

To be fair, they're probably reviewing the N810 WiMax editon, which DOES have a cell phone radio. It really should have covereage EVERYWHERE. No?

Originally Posted by txneo View Post
To be fair, they're probably reviewing the N810 WiMax editon, which DOES have a cell phone radio. It really should have covereage EVERYWHERE. No?
not a chance.

the WiMax edition does not have a cellular radio. yes, the addition of WiMax functionality will extend it's wireless capabilities for those who sign up for WiMax service such as Xohm but no that does not mean that it will have a cellular radio and allow for coverage "everywhere".

besides, i think we all know that this review is just a case of bad marketing and/or a lack of research. i just thought that some may get a chuckle out of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to obstacles can kill For This Useful Post:
Agreed. Looks like it was just an advertising ploy, however inaccurate. It's kind of sad really seeing companies do this (if it wasn't in fact a genuine review) but I did get a kick out of it.