Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Chattanowhere TN
There seems to be a significant amount of space being taken up in the main memory by junk I dont want, and I cant seem to find away to get rid of it, any help?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Iceman0124 View Post
There seems to be a significant amount of space being taken up in the main memory by junk I dont want, and I cant seem to find away to get rid of it, any help?
Could you please define "junk" more specifically? Are you attempting to remove specific programs, sample media files, some of the 1001 different language versions of the documentation, or something else?

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Chattanowhere TN
preloaded media files and the multi language docs, and any other unecessarry fluff I dont know about. Thank you, sorry, I'm a new old fart on this particular block.

Found the file manager, sorry

Last edited by Iceman0124; 2008-05-10 at 14:03.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Iceman0124 View Post
preloaded media files and the multi language docs...
For the documentation:
  1. Launch the File Manager on your tablet.
  2. In the File Manager, tap the "Documents" folder.
  3. Tap the "User guides" folder.
  4. For each user guide you don't want:
    1. Tap and hold on the file name.
    2. In the context menu that appears, tap "Edit".
    3. In the sub-menu that opens, tap "Delete".

The sample media files on your tablet are in the folders "Audio clips" and "Video clips". You can delete those media files using the same techniques you just used to rid your tablet of excess documentation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
For the documentation:
  1. Launch the File Manager on your tablet.
  2. In the File Manager, tap the "Documents" folder.
  3. Tap the "User guides" folder.
  4. For each user guide you don't want:
    1. Tap and hold on the file name.
    2. In the context menu that appears, tap "Edit".
    3. In the sub-menu that opens, tap "Delete".

The sample media files on your tablet are in the folders "Audio clips" and "Video clips". You can delete those media files using the same techniques you just used to rid your tablet of excess documentation.
I delete the ones I dont want and moved the ones I want copies to /media/mmc1. I think I read the user doc maybe once and watch the n800 video clips twice. N8x0 space is more valuable then /media/mmc space.

bun

sorry to hijack this thread, but can someone give me an advice of getting rid of some other unwanted stuff like chess (has anyone ever beat the tablet?), or marbles (was fun for some time).
Those, among some other apps) are pretty useless for me, but since other packages depend on them, I'm unable to remove them via application manager.

Any ideas, how it can be done?

I want to get rid of menu items for things that are either preinstalled or the link to install them was there on the initial menus.

So far, I've used 'applications "Organize"' to move them to a menu item that I've labelled 'Junk', but I really don't want them to show at all, and I certainly don't want a menu item full of stuff I never intend to use (and if getting rid of them frees up space for other things, then that is just one more reason). Having Junk as a menu item actually interferes with my menu navigation, since it pushes the last item (for me 'Settings', a useful menu item) because it turns the last item into a scroll control, and pushes a menu item off the page off the page; and now I get a down arrow rather than 'Settings'.

I've delved into Settings->Control Panels->Panels->Applications Organize, but 'Delete' gets greyed out when I highlight the 'preinstalled' menu items I want to get rid of. To be specific, Gizmo (I installed 5 from another link, I don't need this one) Get Started (worthwhile, but not for me anymore) Skype, Rhapsody, Media Player (I installed MPlayer and Canola), Help, Web, Bookmarks (which I manage under my browser) and RSS Reader (which I just don't use, because I actively check the sites I am interested in).

Any tips on how to go about gettings rid of those pre-loaded menu items? You will have my undying gratitude (OK, I'll forget the gratitude in a few weeks, but it will still be gratitude nonetheless.) Any help is appreciated.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
To delete stuff like Gizmo, run Application Manager, select Installed Programs and you can choose delete (uninstall, now that I think of it). A few items you don't want to delete because they have some things as part of them that are used for other programs. I think Chess might be one of those. App Manager won't let you uninstall things it thinks are essential, so you don't need to worry about it.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-05-11 at 03:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
The non-hacking way to delete the gizmo installer and skype installer is to install them first and uninstall them afterwards with application manager. Silly.

To PLeBlank: you can define menus in menus. I put my "junk" menu into one of the main menus, so that it does not interfere that much.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Somebody want to file a bug about making the Skype, Gizmo and Rhapsody installers uninstallable through Application manager?