I received my replacement N800 on Friday -- I had given my old one to my brother in law.

I updated to the latest OS2008 build, and that's where the fun began /sarcasm.

I cannot download or transfer files to the cards and I cannot create virtual memory. If I install any of the cards, including the one that came with the unit, it freezes frequently.

I have reformatted the cards numerous times now. They work fine in my other devices.

I think this must be a defect because I formatted them exactly as I did for my old unit.

Has anybody else had this happen? I am going to see if CompUSA (Tiger Direct) will give me an exchange.

OK -- I had a 32 MB MMC card that came with my SU-8W keyboard. I figured I might as well test it and it worked fine, and I created 24 MB of virtual ram in about 5 seconds.

I thought I read about this somewhere, but I don't understand the distinction between the card types.

And when I put the 1GB in the external slot it works fine as well.

I guess the issue was with a bad internal card that shipped with the unit?

Is there any issue if I use a larger MMC card? Is SDHC more likely to work internally? Which brands are best for this? I thought Sandisk made Nokia's card?

I just tried a brand new, out of box PNY 4 GB SDHC (Class 4) card. I can't use it for virtual memory. File manager freezes up when I try to save files to it.

What gives? What is a safe brand of SD card to use for this? Can we only use Nokia cards? That doesn't seem to make any sense.

I have no idea. My N800 works fine with all brands and sizes I've tried, both external and internal. Sometimes the internal card gets marked read-only, for some reason, and it requires fiddling to get it back. Larger cards don't seem to work as well when used for extended memory, so I use my smaller card internally, and the large card in the external slot.

Well, now my su-8w card is hosed as well. I'm assuming I have a defective device? I've spent a good part of 2 days trying to get it to play nice. Frustrating. If I did not own this device in the past, I would think that this was indicative of what the user experience is like. It's absolutely terrible. I bought it for an overseas trip, and the unfortunate thing is that if I send it for service, I probably won't get to use it as intended.

CompUSA says they don't accept returns for this device, but I'm going to call them about an exchange because this device has not worked properly since I received it.

Just a guess, but does this help?

I had a defective device. The replacement works fine with the same cards that the first one wouldn't use. It's going back to CompUSA (tigerdirect) today. They have been very good about it (and $219 is a great price). I'll probably end up buying another replacement so I can keep one at home and one at work (video phone with my wife).

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
glad to hear your problem is resolved...

The Following User Says Thank You to joepagiii For This Useful Post:
BAH!
I got the device back from Nokia Repair (Palco), and all the nimrods there did was flash the OS. If they even tried to use a memory card they would see that it doesn't work.

Now I have to send it back to them again, on my dime, and who knows if they will actually fix it this time. In the meantime I can't use the device and my time to return it to CompUSA has run out.