One recently-added feature of Youtube is their insight section, which gives you statistics on who is looking at your videos.

Assuming it's reasonably reliable (and it only gives demographic stats for viewers who are registered and logged on to youtube), it was a bit surprising to see a summary of the ages of people looking at the videos on the Internet Tablet School site. The largest group was 45-55, followed by 35-45 and then 55-65. The 55-65 group was over double the size of the 18-25 group. You can see the complete chart attached below.

Obviously the ITS isn't a typical techie site, it's aimed at people who need extra-clear tutorials, and the site was originally founded to help an older tablet user, but even so this has really shaken up my stereotypes of who actually uses Nokia tablets.

Has anyone else here found themselves surprised by who the tablets appeal to?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
So, basically, what you're saying is that old people are incompetent and need a lot of hand-holding?

To answer the topic question. Bad people, very very bad people.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
So, basically, what you're saying is that old people are incompetent and need a lot of hand-holding?
I wouldn't put it QUITE like that!

I'd probably use an awful politically correct term like "they tend to be differently skilled", because that's often true. The person I originally did the tutorials for has a PhD so they're not stupid in terms of general intellect, but they aren't familiar with home computer technology because it simply didn't exist during their formative years.

However, anyone currently under 35-40 would have probably grown up with computers either at home or at school.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
I find your data to be skewed as you are only looking at what age groups ACCESS the videos. If you look at the demographic of all tablet users; I believe your curve will move down to the younger age groups and you'll get a more even distribution.

To answer the topic question, "Short ones, tall ones, small one, big ones, all but the unintelligent ones."

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by electrolind View Post
I find your data to be skewed as you are only looking at what age groups ACCESS the videos. If you look at the demographic of all tablet users; I believe your curve will move down to the younger age groups and you'll get a more even distribution.
He never suggested otherwise. :\

Oh yes I agree the ITS isn't necessarily representative of all tablet users, I tried to make this point in the original post. And the demographics are only for people who are logged in, those who watch the videos without logging in don't produce any demographic information.

But even allowing for all that, I'm still pretty amazed that the 55-65 age group is more than double the size of the 18-25 age group.

You never hear much about people in their 50s or 60s using the tablets, the marketing keeps concentrating on much younger people, but it seems these older tablet users do exist.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Marketing always concentrates on young people, even though they typically have less spendable income. The reason is that they can be influenced easily, while older consumers tend to be more rational and don't respond well to marketing but to the factsheets.

On topic: While the youtube figures probably don't tell much (except that younger people don't register on youtube ), one thing matches my personal experience: Tablet users are not the geeks they are mistaken for. The NITs are very simple, easy to use devices that meet expectations of those who want to do a little sofa surfing without much hassle. Those users probably wont show up here on ITT, because they're not interested in 3rd party apps, debian on 770 or root access. That's why we don't realize they're out there.

Actually i think that most younger people just pic some birthyear long ago to make sure they are older than 18/21. I very much doubt that even half of the dates entered are correct. I never enter a correct date (i am older than 21...) why would i ?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
To answer the topic question, "Short ones, tall ones, small one, big ones, all but the unintelligent ones."
I was expecting:
Big ones, little ones, ones who climb on rocks
fat ones, skinny ones, even ones with chicken pox
Perhaps I'm putting myself into the older demographic with that though.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I would always expect older people to be at a tutorial site. Younger people would either know how to use it or have got bored and done something else