Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
id suggest you new n800 owners dont waste your money on the batteries there only 700 mah....buy eitehr genuine from nokia or from mugen

Ummmm, would it not be more rational to suggest people check out what they they are actually buying rather than painting with such a broad brush? Such as proclaiming all batteries for sale on a huge site such as eBay, Amazon, wherever as all bad...when you cannot say they are in fact all bad deals. Just too many variables for that to be the case.

For example when I first bought my new N800 I bought a couple what I knew to be used/reconditioned BP-5L batteries from a seller on eBay for about $5/ea with shipping. One battery lasts for a good 6-hrs and the other for not more than 2hrs...fine with me as they are backup batteries. When I buy a new battery in a year I will retire the 2-hr battery and have a couple 4-6hrs batteries and one brand new 8+ hr battery. Mind I am talking battery life under typical use not continuous use.

Of course, if one is looking for a replacement primary battery then, yup, make sure you are buying a new and genuine Nokia battery. Hunting on the web usually will reveal places where they can be had for about $30/ea. give or take a few bucks.

But, I do not think people need such "Chicken Little" like "warnings" to protect themselves...if a deal is too good to be true it's not the deal is bad, it's the buyer has unrealistic expectations and/or has no clue what the heck they are buying, which is their fault. You cannot be everyone's nanny and protect them from themselves.

BTW, I am with you about so many sellers of electronics and computers on eBay...one MUST be careful not to get treated like a $2 hooker on 25¢ night.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brecklundin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
well i kinda figured theyd be crap...usally i buy from well established or from factory...the prime example i have is i bought a 2200mah battery from proporta To this day its still giving me 5 hours of regular use..and its replacable just send it to them and they send you a new one.i didnt expect much from these... just wanted to warn people...sorry if i seemed to be "Chicken Little" in your eyes....

After my original Nokia battery became somewhat weak after 6 months use, I bought a Chinese cheapie from ebay and I'm very happy with it. Daily use and good capacity. For 6 EUR including shipping - who wants complain?

I bought the combo deal of the cheap knockoff battery (3 hours of use) and the charger from an ebay merchant. I purchased it mostly for the charger which has been running fine and for a total of $10.00, I'm not complaining. Wasn't expecting the battery to last like Nokia's, but as a backup it's useful.

A couple of things:

-Ebay is full of batteries (and other goods) which look genuine but are actually counterfeits, so don't take sellers at their word just because they claim it's a real Nokia battery.

-Unofficial batteries may well work fine but they tend to have a much higher risk of short circuiting and blowing up, especially the cheaper models.

IMHO batteries are one of those things where it probably is worth going for official models from reputable retailers.

(Memory cards on the other hand are totally different, never buy Nokia-branded memory cards because they're stupidly overpriced.)

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Eastern U.S.A.
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
A couple of things:

-Ebay is full of batteries (and other goods) which look genuine but are actually counterfeits, so don't take sellers at their word just because they claim it's a real Nokia battery.

-Unofficial batteries may well work fine but they tend to have a much higher risk of short circuiting and blowing up, especially the cheaper models...
Krisse has some good points. I occasionally will buy off-brand batteries because I have one of these and have some confidence I won't blow myself up even if something goes wrong, but I would urge caution with Li+ battery chemistries.

I've done some work with battery technology, and have seen a number of different evil ways that Lithium chemistry batteries, including Lithium-ion and Lithium polymer, can catch fire, smolder, and in some cases even detonate.

When we deal with entities whom we already suspect have a disregard for others' brands and the like, it's healthy to wonder what else they have skimped on.

If you decide to buy batteries from an unknown source, consider getting a good charger with temperature detection circuitry and only using that one with them. It may mean you don't burn your house down.

I mean, it's hard to resist some of those deals.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that.the prices of Nokia batteries are insultingly expensive. There is every incentive to look for cheaper ones. I have provided a url for a company that sells cheap batteries that work great for me. I am permanently boycotting eBay because I dislike the company and the changes it is making. The url is in one of my old messages; this is a frequent topic here. You don't have to.deal with eBay to get cheap and you don't have to deall with Nokia to get good.

thanks geneven ill look for it meanwhile im making a exploding battery backup...sorry couldn't resist