Active Topics

Notices

Hi,

This is the requested steps to follow in order to "force" canola see your FLAC files with latest Beta.

1. Start canola and go to the Settings panel (Menu->Media Library-> Audio Folders) uncheck every folders and close canola.
2. Delete your old canola database located in /home/user/.canola/canola.db
3. Start canola and check only the folders containing FLAC files (see step 1)
4. Go to your "My Music" and tadam ! There are entries for your FLAC files.

Thanks to chenca and handfulOf_nothin on #canola for the help even more since I told them that canola was not the kind of program I would use given its features and limitations (from my own needs). I am not the target but since it can play my files, I will stick with it (in windowed mode nah ).

Happy listening

Any luck streaming FLAC via UPNP? That is my holy grail... and I can't get it to work except via Slimserver, and I want to use my Twonky server instead.

Thanks

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Well. Vrette... the problem mainly here is that FLAC is really heavy to stream it with quality will quite hard : / I don't know if the quality will be good :/
I will see if we can test it!

MArcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

That would be great. I was able to stream flac via the Nokia mediastreamer and by installing dsp-flac (https://garage.maemo.org/projects/dsp-flac/) but it would occasionally hang because for some reason the combination just would not play certain songs. I think it had to do with the way the bit rate of the flac file, or something like that, but I never dug in deep to figure it out. Also, the Squeezebox is able to stream flac via wireless G, so it may not be as bad as you think (unless the CPU in the N800 just isn't up to it).

Vrette: that's the point cpu is on it's limit, add Canola to the equation heeheh
But, the hang is probably out of memory but let's see what we can do. Unfortunately this is really a more specific media case, and we have some things higher in the priority queue

Marcelo

I thought that might be the case, but the size of the file didn't seem to matter. In other words, it would play a 20MB file, but not a 15MB file.

Anyway, it would be a great feature if it is doable. FLAC is gaining popularity since storage is getting cheaper by the minute, and FLAC files do sound superior to MP3 (to some people).

Originally Posted by handful View Post
the hang is probably out of memory but let's see what we can do.
Marcelo

Yeah Vrette: but still a very "niche" user pool, inside the user pool. And to be honest, most of users in recent user testings are not able to differentiate sound quality between the mp3 in 192 and the flac (probably because they don'
t have good ear phones etc)

But we will try doing as we can, but this difference between the files Chenca (who did the upnp was explaining) exists, and as we cannot guarantee that the user has the support for playing flacs installed it's really hard to support it : /

Maybe, this will be the need of a third party plugin just for the FLAC users. If a developer think can do it we can help!

Marcelo

I completely understand. Anything you could do would be greatly appreciated.

Second this

The Following User Says Thank You to maillaxa For This Useful Post:
I'm a huge flac fan, but I have to agree with handful. There is virtually nothing to be gained by having flac on the N810. The N810's headphone out is so weak, I can't imagine why anyone would want to use their NIT to stream flac files. You'll need an amp to drive any worthy headphones with it, and to top it off, I haven't been extremely impressed with the sound quality from the N810. I haven't done extensive listening tests, but it seems to roll off the lows and highs prematurely. Take your flac files and rip them as ogg -q3. Enjoy the space savings and good music -q6 if you think you can tell the difference. Anything more is just a waste imho.