Active Topics

The n800 rocks for air travel! I'm constantly on the go by air, rail and road. I've tried everything to stay productive and entertained while on these trips, and my n800 has become indispensable. I have almost eliminated the need to carry a laptop while traveling, and in many situations the n800 is far superior to a laptop.

The n800, unlike the laptop computer or cell phone, can be used during any air travel phase in which any electronic device is allowed. In addition, because the n800 is compact in size with a low profile, it can be used even in tight configurations such as the middle row or window seats with the forward seat reclined. The n800's combination of productivity and entertainment features make it a superior choice for serious travelers.

My full analysis of the n800 vs. laptop for air travel is here.

Techie, Podcaster, Nuclear Engineer, Triathlete, Road Warrior, and N800 Newbie
Podcast: This Week in Nuclear
My Crazy Friends: Multisport Maniacs

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Nice review. For those 12-hour LA-to-Moscow runs, I think I'd prefer a small laptop, battery permitting, and if I get the guy reclining in front of me I'd just listen to something.

But I'm surprised you didn't mention that with a cheap gps attachment, you can check the speed and location of your plane from the N800, which might be handy. I'm always trying to figure out what I'm seeing out the window, and I'm planning to take advantage of the gps for landmark identification.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Are there any airlines in the US, that currently have inflight wifi?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
My gps does NOT work most of the time during flight, except on landing and take off. because of the altitude of the flight? Mine is transatlantic flight, presumably much higher than domestic flight, I guess?

bun

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
My gps does NOT work most of the time during flight, except on landing and take off. because of the altitude of the flight? Mine is transatlantic flight, presumably much higher than domestic flight, I guess?

bun
I remember seeing in this forum someone posted a picture of N810 in the airplane showing close to 1000km/h ground speed... so it (GPS) should work but it may take long time to get a fix...

Likely the N810 has to be at the window, otherwise the metal walls of airplane supress the satellite signals? No?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Sorry, Mara and other readers, I did not make myself clear enough. It was a N800 with BT GPS, it has been performing excellent in USA but cannot get a fix in China. It was sometime log on ok in HK and rarely made it during the flight. That was 12/07, I did not have a N810 at that time. I was travelling with N800 and 770 and again, I already noticed at that time, the 770 battery last much longer and was serving as a fail-safe to my N800. Surprise, surprise.

I still dont get even today, why my BT GPS fix in less than a second inside the house in USA but wont even fix in southern China. I posted that question when I am back here, do not recall seeing any good explanation.

bun

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Here's the cool thread with pix of the guy getting air speed enroute to the Canary Islands:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...p?t-14487.html

I never actually tried it from the air, but it was pretty amusing to check the speed of a cruise ship I was on...

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Sorry, Mara and other readers, I did not make myself clear enough. It was a N800 with BT GPS
I thought that you can not use any RF transmitting device during flight... I had that thought in the past with my N800 and BT GPS but never tried because of this reason...

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
I have been using a gps in flights long before the 770 even existed, and I have been using a bluetooth GPS in plane with the N800. It works, if the gps is very near to the window. I usually leave the GPS on the window and close the blind with the GPS behind it...

TO have a better chance to get a fix, make sure the GPS has got a fix on the ground the same day. It is quite tricky for the GPS to acquire a cold fix in flight.

Bluetooth and wifi are designed to minimize interference. Wifi can be used in flight, and some companies even have on-board wifi.

OTOH, using RC games, CB or even CD players is not a very good idea.

Well... it is not a question if it works, but as long as I know it is forbidden to use it in airplane during flight. Bluetooth is considered a two way radio... so it is requested to keep turned off during the duration of the flight.

There are only very few airlines with WiFi on board. (Lufthansa few years ago? Are they still doing this?) WiFi (B and G) uses the same frequency band than Bluetooth... so it would be ridiculous if they ban Bluetooth if WiFi was allowed, but in other cases (No WiFi) I do not see how Bluetooth would be allowed?

Maybe someone can shed some light on this issue...

EDIT: Just did dig deeper on this and found out these rules of different airlines about their accepted device use during flight:

British Airways: Allow use of Bluetooth devices on their planes.
American Airlines: Forbid Bluetooth, as well as use of any GPS device!
Finnair: Allow GPS devices but forbid Bluetooth.
Lufthansa: Couldn't find information.
United Airlines: Bluetooth nor GPS not mentioned, but forbid use of any AM or FM transmitting device.

I haven't checed other airlines... but may do later...

Last edited by Mara; 2008-06-15 at 22:01.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post: