Active Topics

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
I'm so pissed off right now. My story follows:

I bought eight Nokia N800's back in March of '07 when CompUSA was closing in my area. I sold all of them except one which was still in the box (unopened). Just recently a friend bought it, opened it and tried to play the pre-packed music that comes with the unit. It was stuttering like crazy!! It would go about 1 second then pause, 2 seconds then pause, then play, pause, crazy stuff. We flashed it to the new OS2008 but received the same results. Also the screen taps are way off as in touching the bottom right of the screen would bring up the menu or close an application. It takes about 30 seconds to get into the media player because as you are trying to bring the menu up and select the application, everything else is receiving the taps.

I sent the unit to Nokia after their support said to do so. Well, now I received a letter saying "We can attenpt to repair your phone at a cost of $108.00". No, it's not a phone and they spelled "attempt" wrong. That's a lot of money for something that is out of the box. Yes, it's past their year warranty but still the principal of it all.

Oh and now I need to respond to Nokia within 30 days or they'll "dispose" of it.

What would you guys do???

I'd bite the bullet and let them do the repair. It's still less expensive than buying it new (Amazon open box with full warranty $225, eBay used $200). Out of curiosity--would they refund you $108 if their repair didn't work?

My N800: OS2008, Fanoush's initfs, SanDisk 4Gig x 2 SDHC, BoxWave FlexSkin and Sync Charger, Homebrew External Power Pack (4xAA NiMH Rechargeable 2400 mA)

Greetings from Sunny San Diego, California!

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesc760 For This Useful Post:
jamesc760, thanks for your feedback. I'm leaning that direction too as I can't find a better price.

It does state on the work order:

If we are unable to repair your phone, you will not be billed and your phone will be returned as is.
Phones repaired under this option have a 90-day warranty.
I was hoping someone would say something like, "I also had the same problem and I just had to load this one utility on there to fix everything.".

it is not their fault that you first noticed the failure more than 1 year after purchase- it sucks but not their fault. $108 seems like a deal - i would buy a reconditioned n800 for $108 right now(with a 90 day warranty)

lol sell it on ebay for $90 as is then buy yourself a new one for $160ish online somewhere

Voltron, I was trying to find a decent price but could not. Do you know a place where $160 is possible for a new unit?

I got my N800 back from Nokia today and they did actually fix it. But here is the description of what they did on the invoice.

Full Software Upgrade & Phone Reset
I have personally re-flashed it three times with different operating system versions before sending it to them and it still kept stuttering when playing music or screen taps jumping everywhere. So, if they did the same thing, what was done different? In fact, what does "Phone Reset" mean? Again, it's not a phone and I haven't seen anywhere a hardware combo that you can press to "Reset" the unit. Does anyone have any ideas?

The version of OS they put on there is "2.2007.50-2" and I want to bring it up to "4.2008.23-13" so could I reintroduce the problem it had before? Is there a way I can back this up before proceeding?

Sorry for all of the questions.

Originally Posted by Munk View Post
So, if they did the same thing, what was done different? In fact, what does "Phone Reset" mean? Again, it's not a phone and I haven't seen anywhere a hardware combo that you can press to "Reset" the unit. Does anyone have any ideas?
I would assume a reset, was powering off and removing the battery and any sd cards, this would always be a first step for me, if there was something really funky going on, that persisted after a regular reboot.