Active Topics

I've noticed that a couple of ITT posters are expecting children soon (myself, Brontide, TabulaRasa), or are already parents.

These are some of the ways I've read about or thought of using the IT for:
-Flashcam: for webcam to family, or as a baby monitor
-Skype: to talk to family (I really wish that the video part of Skype worked)
-TuxPaint: drawing activity for the kids
-WordPy: for blogging and posting images

So, what else are you using it for?

(And finally, how can you convince your partners that the IT is actually useful, and not just a toy? )

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by slip View Post
(And finally, how can you convince your partners that the IT is actually useful, and not just a toy? )

That was the easy part. I sent one to my mother, so that she can start video talks with her grandchildren.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Show everybody the photos and videos of your child :-)
Have some nice lullabies in as mp3 :-))
Let your child chew and salivate it until your IT bricks :-)))

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I can play with my son with one hand and check my email with the other.

Tim

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
My daughter loves youtube "Simons Cat". She's just started talking and she mastered watching youtube videos months ago. She will reach into my breast pocket and pull the n810 out and starts "asking" for her vids.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
So, what else are you using it for?
My children enjoy watching episodes of The Wubbcast while waiting the doctor's office, the pizza place, etc. The Wubbcast plays fairly well in the standard media player, and I keep a selection of episodes on the SD cards in my N800.

EDIT: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sjgadsb...7601780004446/

Beyond that, first child is old enough to be minimally trusted handling the tablet, so he gets to draw pictures in Sketch. Also, all three children enjoy seeing quick photos and video clips of themselves taken on the spot. Megapixels don't seem to matter to the pre-school set, just so long as they're the stars on screen.

And finally, how can you convince your partners that the IT is actually useful, and not just a toy?
Heh. My wife considers anything computer-related "for my job" and encourages me to purchase whatever I feel I need. Luckily, I'm, err, thrifty.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2008-06-27 at 14:49. Reason: Adding link to photo

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Aim: convince spouse N800 is useful

Step 1) In restaurant, start "Numpty physics" & give it to restless child...

Step 2) At function where children present & spouse is trying to talk to other parents while kids climb up and down on top of her, start Mplayer (note mplayer doesn't do things when screen touched == advantage over otherwise excellent Canol2) select tablet-encode ed "My neighbour Totoro" and place where it can be seen by 1/2doz or more kids...

Step 3) In car, or in tent on rainy camping trip, start Mplayer select episode of Yo Gabba Gabba...

Result: Spouse says "Hey, you know, you should get another one of those so both kids can have one"... YMMV.

FWIW: My experience is that pictures of kids & videos taken with N800 are not good enough to show to grandparents.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
(For a 5 and a 2 year old)

Mplayer/Canola + SDcard:
- 36 episodes of Fireman Sam
- Some episodes of Bob the Builder
- About a dozen MP3 with "Kasperle-theatre" stories

MyPaint/Tuxpaint

The game "Car parking"

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Snohomish, WA
my 3.5 year old enjoys tux paint and watching episodes of Shaun the Sheep on it

The Following User Says Thank You to znutar For This Useful Post: