Notices

I am going on a slight hiatus from the internet, and as such gnuite.com will be going down for a while. I don't know exactly how long it will be down, and unfortunately it hosts web services required for Maemo Mapper's "Download Route" and "Download POI" features.

I'm looking for a volunteer to assume responsibility for the GPX web services (Driving Directions and POI Search). I cannot give a solid estimate for the duration, but it will be at least a month, possibly more.

Minimum requirements are a DNS-resolvable web server with PHP (version 4.0 or later). Please PM me if you would like to volunteer. I will then give you my terms for the transfer. Only one person will be selected to assume control of the services.

When the transfer has been finalized, I (or the transferee) will release details for how you can change your existing Maemo Mapper installations to work with the new server. You will not be able to download routes or POI without making these changes.

I apologize for the inconvenience this will cause many of you, but the circumstances behind this downage are beyond my control.

Thanks in advance to all volunteers.

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Thanks again to all of the volunteers that offered their support. I have found a suitable host for the web services, and--pending the latencies in DNS propogation--the web services should currently be running properly on the new host.

I have transferred the entire domain to the new host, so the same URLs used by Maemo Mapper should work just as before, so (contrary to my initial post) you needn't change any configuration at all.

The changes may not have been executed 100% perfectly, so please let me know if you experience any issues with Maemo Mapper's web-based services.

(The new host is probably faster than my old host, though, so there's at least some good in this changeover. )

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Great!
Thanks to you and this mysterious volunteer!

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
I second the thanks to Gnuite and the masked volunteer.

I also want to use this post to express my appreciation to Gnuite again for this wonderful app. of course, everyone knows this, but I have to say it again: it is a most useful tool. It quite literally guided me around in a strange city last week, lowering my stress level and keeping me on track.

The GPS took a few minutes (av 8) to lock (not, of course, MM's fault), but once it did, it kept the signal through the whole route, downloading the maps seamlessly on the fly using my phone as an internet connection. I know, I am late to the party, but dang, this is good!

Best wishes to you on your break!

***Edit update: Diablo broke it... grrrrr Sorry for the post. Be sure to check the thread about broken threads........ *** thanks guys

I just reflashed my N800 and decided to not use the wayfinder program but try to load MM. From the maemo.org site with my tablet I did the "click to install"

Would something be missing in the domain move? All I get is "Unable to download maemo-mapper. Application package not found"

MM2 is not listed anywhere in the installable applications (only the Finland map option).

Just wondering if there might be some DNS issue from the USA side. Could be the routing tables are not updated yet or something.

thanks

td99

Last edited by tripperdan99; 2008-07-02 at 23:04.

tripper: Both the .install files and the .deb files are hosted by maemo.org, so there shouldn't be any DNS-related issues with actually installing maemo-mapper. Are you still having problems with the .install? If so, which OS are you running? (OS2008? Diablo?)

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ California
I have Diablo and have the same problem trying to install mapper.

In fact, I have not been able to install *any* applications from maemo.org ( I have tried three). I have tried:
1. clicking on the download and install arrow [result:"Invalid installation file"]
2. Downloading the .install file locally and trying to open with Application Manger. [result: same as 1.]
3. In one case, tried to download the package directly ( not mapper - in this case received a missing dependency message)

Do existing OS2008 *.install files not work for Diablo?

Thanks (again) John & the mysterious backup !

Originally Posted by staniam View Post
I have Diablo and have the same problem trying to install mapper.

In fact, I have not been able to install *any* applications from maemo.org ( I have tried three). I have tried:
1. clicking on the download and install arrow [result:"Invalid installation file"]
2. Downloading the .install file locally and trying to open with Application Manger. [result: same as 1.]
3. In one case, tried to download the package directly ( not mapper - in this case received a missing dependency message)

Do existing OS2008 *.install files not work for Diablo?
You need to add/edit this to your repository list.

Catalog name: maemo Extras chinook
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
Distrbution: chinook
Components: free non-free

Then it works. (right now after a flash the tablet only has Diablo repos and Diablo in distribution of any repos that come by default). Most apps were built for Chinook thus you need to add that. Then it should install.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Or use the .install file. Maemo Mapper's specifies the chinook repository explicitly. (It still works on Diablo, though.)