Is anyone else annoyed with the built in email app? It's driving me crazy! I set it up to access my gmail with pop. First off, it downloaded over 300 emails for some reason even though I only have four in my inbox and less than that unread. Then, since these are old messages, I wanted to mark them read and archive/trash them. I can't find an option to "mark read" and when I go to archive/trash an email it tells me it's going to delete it from the server! Eventually, I gave up because that is just plain unusable. What gives? Are there any third party apps yet that work with 2006?

YES! This mailclient is terrible! Slow! ...
I am looking for alternatives, but did't find anything till now.

Pine: Works nice, but has no automaticall POP3 maildownload (e.g. every 5 minutes)
Sylpheed: Great performance, but still "pre-Alpha" (i hope it gets better with os 2006, when the "owner" patches it to Nokia 770)

Sylpheed, once mature, is the best. It has a small memory footprint, decent speed and works with SSL, IMAP-Folders, attachments etc. It has some bugs: You may not minimize it (wont show up in the tasklist), has some menues not hildonized and is not yet ready for Maeomo 2.0 / OS 2006.

I really need this app, so unfortunately I have to wait with the upgrade untill it is available for the new firmware.

Actually, I've found the email client to be greatly improved in the 2006 OS beta. The thing I most dislike about it at this point is how there doesn't seem to be one an option to keep mail from multiple accounts seperate -- everything just gets dumped into a single inbox.
Originally Posted by bradpitcher
I can't find an option to "mark read" and when I go to archive/trash an email it tells me it's going to delete it from the server!
That's strange, I remember seeing an option for marking mail read/unread (although I guess I could be misremembering) and when I delete messages I get a dialog box asking if I want to delete the mail from the server as well as from the handheld or only from the handheld. Maybe these features are only available for IMAP4 accounts? ...That would be a pretty strange situation, if true.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
blazer: I'm hoping to pick up work on Sylpheed when the bleb.org server's back. (Hopefully this evening...)

Originally Posted by Stickarm
That's strange, I remember seeing an option for marking mail read/unread (although I guess I could be misremembering) and when I delete messages I get a dialog box asking if I want to delete the mail from the server as well as from the handheld or only from the handheld.
I've played with it on iT2006 final now and I'm certain there are no options to mark mail read/unread. And the dialog box you speak of that gives you a choice only comes up when you are deleting mail that has already been read. If it hasn't been read, a dialog comes up warning you that you are deleting email from the server and gives you "OK" and "Cancel" options.
This is really getting ridiculous. How is this usable? Am I way off base with the intended usage of this application? Please, someone uses email on the 770 describe to me his/her daily usage patterns.
And please someone chime in and tell me I'm wrong. I want nothing more than to be wrong right now. I would be perfectly satisfied using the web client if I could get notified of new emails, but AFAIK that doesn't exist.

I agree that a better email client is needed. It's been a long, long, long time since I coded with any regularity, so I'm not going to be much help with Sylpheed, but I can tell you that I'm waiting anxiously for it. The existing mail app is very poor. I consistently use 5 email addresses, and have a couple more support mailboxes that I need to check once in a while, and the current app is just not flexible enough. I have to say that I'd rather have a port of the Symbian Series 80 mail app from my 9500 on this than the one that comes with it.

Aflegg - is there anything us non-coders can do to help you out? You mention server issues - can we help there?

Thanks,
Andras

Originally Posted by bradpitcher
This is really getting ridiculous. How is this usable? Am I way off base with the intended usage of this application? Please, someone uses email on the 770 describe to me his/her daily usage patterns.
A straight and honest answer to your question, though I suspect it may not be of much use.

Everything gets forwarded to a GMail account and I use the browser. No trying to keep seperate mail clients in sync (laptop, 770, etc).

But then I use email as a way of receiving information and requests, if I need to respond away from my desk I usually use the phone (it's usually a client requiring help).

So I don't use the sipplied 770 client and was quite pleased to see if gone from the taskbar in OS2006.

- Neil.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
andras: just a case of finding time at the moment.

It seems the mailclient in OS2006-Final is worse (slower!!) than the OS2006-Beta.