Active Topics

I'm looking into getting an internet tablet and I have a few questions.
Ive been looking at the N810 and am wondering if there are any out there that people would recommend more? Its features look good thus far but the biggest thing I am worried about is the bluetooth internet connectivity.

Does anyone with Verizon know the best way to go about getting a data plan that will work with an internet tablet? I am on a family plan but only want the one line to have the unlimited data. How much is that most likely going to run me per month?

Thanks, and since is my first post, thanks for the forum!

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
As far as I'm aware, nobody's had any real difficulties connecting to the internet via bluetooth... There's one guy whose settings got messed up by a diablo upgrade but I think that was more of an exception rather than the rule.

I'm sorry I couldn't tell you more on that score as I stopped tethering with my phone as soon as I got my N810. I've got wifi at home, at school, and at work so I've no need to.

But as far as tethering with verizon goes, I used to tether my Palm Zire 72 and it worked excellently Any data plan (except a blackberry one) should work with your internet tablet.

Verizon's got a data plan for 60 dollars a month that gives you 5gb transfer per month... I would actually suggest getting a different phone purely for data transfer.

There's some threads over at http://www.howardforums.com/ that detail how you can get free tethering through BOOST Mobile Also, howardforums has guides on how to set up tethering with virtually any phone

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

The Following User Says Thank You to josiahg777 For This Useful Post:
Great! Thanks a bunch!

You're very welcome

Welcome to our forums

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Within the TOS of most American cell phone providers the ability to "Tether" or "Phone as Modem ( PAM )" is usually the single most costly add-on you can add ( $30-$60/month ).

Checking out Howardforums will give you some ideas on what phone will allow you to "get around" specific restrictions and what can be expected. I highly recommend you fully read up on the benefits and possible ramifications of any grey area tethering as Verizon will charge you $$$ if you screw up.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
So I take it its not really worth it to try and tether right? Have you found your tablet to be sufficient with just wifi hotspots?

Well... it depends... There's some operators in which you can get really really cheap tethering.

But for my part I've found my tablet to be more than sufficient with free wifi hotspots

The only time I would like to have internet and I don't have access to wifi is in the car. But even that I can live with since I'm normally driving

I tether on Verizon for $15/mo. with their V Cast plan. I'm also on America's Choice, so data would otherwise only use minutes. If you're on Nationwide (w/o a data plan), data would be $0.02/MB IIRC. Supposedly, it's $0.49/MB if you go over 5GB. I've been doing this with my laptop since the Motorola e815 came out, so probably 2-3 years without getting any overage fees for not paying their tethering charge.

The Following User Says Thank You to FierceDeityLink1 For This Useful Post:
$15 is more than reasonable for me. You're happy with Verizon's network? How many mb is that for the $15?

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by Svenhook View Post
So I take it its not really worth it to try and tether right? Have you found your tablet to be sufficient with just wifi hotspots?
I have tethered and plan to do so in the future, I just would not recommend it unless you understand what kind of do-do you can get into if Verizon decides to cut you off and bill you for the KB's.

Right now I'm looking to move to InPulse because with a $100 card that lasts 365 days the worst thing that can happen is they cut off my pre-pay ESN and I re-up with another phone. With the right phone/hack you have access to EVDO and a fixed limit to how much they can screw you.

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post: