Notices

Poll: Would you use your Internet tablet more if you had a good word processor?
Poll Options
Would you use your Internet tablet more if you had a good word processor?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Minnesota
The Nokia Internet tablets running OS2008 Have gained the parts of a real office environment. The new Abiword 2.6.4 that has just come out and the gnumeric spreadsheet app are both available for OS2008. Abiword doesn't suffer from constant crashes and is available for chinook or diablo. Thats not to say that there arent any bugs for example the stylus keyboard will not activate when you tap the document area. gnumeric on the other hand is completely usable and very simple to use. If anyone knows about any fixes to abiword or gnumeric or any rumers about some kind of power point like program let me know.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I don't want to duplicate threads, but please be aware that openoffice.org is already available by chrooting in a debian rootfs.
Apart from technicalities, Qole has made available an installer that's very easy to use. After this setup you'll have the mobile office you were asking for, including full openoffice, abiword, and you will also be able to install any software you want from the debian repositories.

For all this and more, see http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21629

I meant having a mobile office with out mucking around the operating system! I also think that we shouldn't have to go so far to get something so simple. We shouldn't have to install dabian to get a good office application. Not to mention that the debian apps are not designed for a 4inch display!! This is not a duplicate thread!!!

I just started installing debian it sounds like a good idea but I still hate mucking up my tablet

Well, maybe I'm in a minority but I for one have no interest in writing documents with either MS Word or OpenOffice, or AbiWord. Heck, I never use any of those on the desktop either.. except to sometimes look at other people's documents, and then with a shudder.

Two things.

1. I don't agree with the complaints about others starting new threads when there "are other perfectly good used threads out there." There are good reasons to start new threads - the most important one for me is that new threads appear on my RSS reader, and comments to old ones don't.

2. I really prefer apps that work in native mode, apps that can read normal business documents. I've gotten along with doc reader for the ubiquitous ms-word files attached to emails from clients. Gnumeric unfortunately can't read multi-page Excel files (at least there are no clues about how to do that within the package the N800 installs.

--pk---

For short notes Notes or Xournal is good enough for me. For reading and commenting on things in the mail I could use a simple .doc/odf/rtf capable wordprocessor. But are there people here who write complete papers and reports on an Internet Tablet, i.e. complex documents with footnotes etc.? Doesn't seem very enjoyable to me on such a small screen.

<edit>

And besides, in the near future we might all be collaboratively in a Wimax Cloud using Google Docs and the like.
</edit>

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-07-21 at 20:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to iamthewalrus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
abiword and similar are imo overkill more often then not. but gnumeric on the other hand is one nice tool for all kinds of number work.

Originally Posted by komarek View Post
Two things.

1. I don't agree with the complaints about others starting new threads when there "are other perfectly good used threads out there." There are good reasons to start new threads - the most important one for me is that new threads appear on my RSS reader, and comments to old ones don't.

2. I really prefer apps that work in native mode, apps that can read normal business documents. I've gotten along with doc reader for the ubiquitous ms-word files attached to emails from clients. Gnumeric unfortunately can't read multi-page Excel files (at least there are no clues about how to do that within the package the N800 installs.
I'm gonna guess you meant multi-sheet documents. Format -> Sheet -> Manage Sheets...

Otherwise, you can use the scrollbars to deal with multi-page documents.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
I agree with T-unit that a mobile office solution is sorely lacking in the N810, and that having to install a guest OS to get it is unacceptably convoluted for most people.

Gnumeric is actually pretty good. AbiWord is getting there but not ready for prime time. If the pair were working you'd have something on par with the DataVis or QuickOffice offerings that have been working on PalmOS for years.

PS: All I really need is a good app for taking notes as formatted text. Notes would be OK if I could indent bullets. Other options (Maemopad, Xournal) either don't do formatted text or don't use a format that allows me to share documents with Windows users.