Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
This probably has been asked before, but it seems search engines hate me, so:

I have a SE P910i and a Nokia 770. The other day I tried, for fun, to see if I could get a better Internet experience with my 770 over GPRS than with my P910 (which has a lousy browser, and for some reason Opera will not work on my P910).

Unfortunately, the 770 refuses to pair with the SE. All goes well until I enter the pairing code into the P910, after which for some time nothing will happen other than the blue light on the phone flickering away, and finally the 770 will proudly announce that pairing failed, and whether I would like to try again ("No, you stupid thing! I tried fifteen times already; I give up!" -- sorry).

So, has anyone tried this successfully? It's not a biggie: I intend to keep using the P910 until it crumbles to dust, after which I'm getting myself the cheapest, smallest BT/3G phone a very small amount of money can buy.

Oh, BTW, on a totally unrelated note: I ran a few of my P910 divx movies through the Nokia Media Converter and they came out as perfectly acceptable (although larger in size) 770 movies that run smoothly at 352x208, 384 kbps video and 64 kbps audio. I did let the converter make two passes. I'd probably have got a better result converting directly from DVD, but you know how it is: sometimes you just can't find that DVD .

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I can only commiserate with you. My P910a did exactly what yours did. When I called Nokia tech support, they claimed the P910 had old BT implementations. My last firmware upgrade was a while ago, because it has been working so well.

I just got a new phone -- a Nokia E61 -- and BT pairings and GPRS use is working like a charm. Maybe tech support was right...

-F

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I seem to remember that BT pairing with the P910 works from a certain firmware upwards. My problem is that my P910 is a de-branded Orange version, and new firmwares for this version are rare indeed.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2006 @ s/w Germany
Hi!

Here is a description how pairing with P910i should work anyway:
http://electrichamster.net/?page=web...nk=16#comments

My problem is described on that page - I can't find the "phone icon in the status bar" and thus I can't finish the pairing

Perhaps anyone can try out the pairing process and give me a hint? Use my suggestion for becoming root on the 770

Thanks in advance,
regards Diet

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2006 @ s/w Germany
Hi!

Jonty gave me the missing information: his description was designed for the IT2005 OS. When using IT2006 there is no phone icon in the status bar. After finishing step 8 you have to use the "phone" icon in the control panel instead and add a new phone there.

Now everything works fine with the P910i

cu, Diet

It seems the link below:

http://electrichamster.net/?page=web...nk=16#comments

No longer works. Does anyone have the info on connecting that this link described?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Wow, you still use p910?

I have a dead P1i and a w810.

enjoy, http://web.archive.org/web/200708120...t/?page=weblog

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Wow, you still use p910?

I have a dead P1i and a w810.

enjoy, http://web.archive.org/web/200708120...t/?page=weblog
Why shouldn't he? I'm still using my P910i, mostly because the 5-way rocker -- well, rocks. Also, the P910 has a removable keyboard and as I do all my editing with Decuma Alphabetic HWR, I don't really need a keypad. Finally, I have invested quite a tidy sum in MS Pro Duo sticks (5 gigabytes in total), which would be worthless with any later SE model.

The P910 is an amazingly sturdy phone: I've had mine since 2005, have dropped it on concrete at least three times and I have only two scuffmarks to show for it; it's still on its first battery and going strong; I reboot it only marginally more frequently than my Itablet (and that one's been going since september last year!). Best money ever spent!

(I said I was going to replace it with a cheapo BT 3G phone, but the P910 just refuses to die)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Why shouldn't he? I'm still using my P910i, mostly because the 5-way rocker -- well, rocks. Also, the P910 has a removable keyboard and as I do all my editing with Decuma Alphabetic HWR, I don't really need a keypad. Finally, I have invested quite a tidy sum in MS Pro Duo sticks (5 gigabytes in total), which would be worthless with any later SE model.

The P910 is an amazingly sturdy phone: I've had mine since 2005, have dropped it on concrete at least three times and I have only two scuffmarks to show for it; it's still on its first battery and going strong; I reboot it only marginally more frequently than my Itablet (and that one's been going since september last year!). Best money ever spent!

(I said I was going to replace it with a cheapo BT 3G phone, but the P910 just refuses to die)
Fair enough. I'm just saying because all the people I know with 910's ended up replacing them with 990's etc. The UIQ3 is quite nice.

You haven't seen my friends (he's got a P990 now) but his one has been water damaged and dropped from a bridge. When it was water damaged, the power button failed so he would boot it up with the charger and when it dropped, the ports failed with the charger. End of that phone :P.
But if the rest of the phone still works, like you say, it is very sturdy.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Fair enough. I'm just saying because all the people I know with 910's ended up replacing them with 990's etc. The UIQ3 is quite nice.
I agree, but I'll probably never forgive SE for dropping that genious 5-way rocker in "favour" of a simple wheel and buttons and then claim they did it on customer demand, while just about everyone in the fora I visited at the time chastized them for doing this.