Active Topics

Hello,

I wonder if there is a way to emulate N770's browser on a standard PC, which is some kind of Opera (as far as I know). I'm developing web pages for the N770 and have to be sure it works. If there is no emulator, maybe there is this special Opera to run on my PC and to test the pages with a resolution of 800x480.

Furthermore, which CSS specifications are supported and is there an HttpXML-object to use AJAX?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sorry if this is just hot air but I remember a thread way back when that had mentioned 'Opera for Devices'. I think the 770's browser is a spinoff of that.

Just use standard web programming and it should work. Opera has always been about standards compliance - as of this writing, the only major web browser that can handle the Acid2 test is Opera 9. Firefox and IE both do poorly, and IE incredibly so.

However, the way to find out about Opera is to just enter opera:about in the address line. Mine, running the latest 2005 release OS says:

Version: 8.02 Internal
build: 1.0.88
Platform: Linux
System: armv5tejl, 2.6.12.3-omap1

XHTML + Voice: Not available

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; ; Linux armv5tejl; U) Opera 8.02 [en] N770/SU-18_0.2006.04-1_PR

Get a hold of an old Opera 8 - not the 8.5 series, but the original 8 - and you should have a decent PC-based testbed to see how a 770 will do on your pages.

This is 8.01 for Windows, for instance: http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/win/801/en/

Last edited by kimmoj; 2006-06-22 at 15:19. Reason: Added link to an old Opera

You could also use Javascript to resize a window to 800x480 to see exactly how it would look on a 770. This page at blooberry.com has the code and even a handy little implementation of it allowing you to specify a window size and open it.

Thanks kimmoj, I will have a try and develop with Opera 8 on my PC.

also in opera you can set to view current resolution in the titlebar, in opera, advanced settings, browsing, enable show web page size in title bar or in linux I can start opera with this command

opera -geometry 800x400

I don't know if that command works in win but I guess it does.