Active Topics

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
Hi everyone,

So I did what I had to and erased a bunch of software to get the update to download on the n800 and after warning me it would have to reboot, it downloaded, seemed to install, but never rebooted.

It now shows up in the control panel applications as:

OS2008 Feature Upgrade
Updates to Email and Browser stability
Version: 4.2008.30-2

If I tap on it it pops up saying "Unable to install system update" and gives no other options.

If I show information on the Summary tab it says Status: Broken.

Under the uninstalling tab it says "Unable to uninstall OS2008 Feature upgrade".

The uninstall option on it is grayed out.

What should I do to rip this out and try to upgrade again? I'd like it to work without flashing the thing, especially given that I took out a couple of juicy apps like Skype and Gizmo5 to make this thing download.

I am having issues with the latest OS update on my N800 as well. In my case, after downloading and installing the update, the tablet never rebooted. I had to use the hardware keys to turn off the device and back on again. Now control panel does show the updated version - however since I have upgraded, I am noticing that the tablet display is behaving strangely. Often times , when i have left it on for a few minutes, and the screen has gone blank, when I tap on the screen, the screen does not come back to life. I can hear it launching programs ( depending on where I tap ) , but no display ! This happens even with a full battery. If I somehow manage to turn it off using the hardware keys, next time I turn it on, sometimes it will work, and other times the problem will persist ( i.e. the tablet boots, but no display )

I have tried taking the battery out and putting it back on, but that has not solved the problem. Also as I mentioned, there is no pattern to the problem. It happens sometimes, and other times works just fine.

Anyone else facing similar issues and has found a solution ?

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
osso-software-version-rx34: Depends: libbz2-1.0 (= 1.0.3-1) but 1.0.3-2 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

I saw the above when doing an "apt-get upgrade" as recommended in another thread.

I think this happened because I updated the unzip package before applying the update. Let me see what I can do with that...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by InfinityDevil View Post
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
osso-software-version-rx34: Depends: libbz2-1.0 (= 1.0.3-1) but 1.0.3-2 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
That'd be the FBReader repo causing issues.

I went to the command line and along the way it removed the upgrade package. It's not in the installed applications list anymore.

It then showed a number of updates, which I installed, but they were all the same version of the programs. Third party stuff like that.

Now I don't have the upgrade in the apps list (installed) but there's nothing available in updates. I removed the FBReader repo and still nothing available in updates.

I did a reboot and looked again, nothing to install.

When I do an apt-get upgrade as root here's what it tells me it wants to do (next post following this one from the tablet):

The following packages will be upgraded:
gpe-icons libdb4.2 libecore0-con libecore0-ipc
libedje0 libepsilon0 libetk0 libevas0
libfribidi0 libglade2-0 libimlib2 libsqlite0
makedev python2.5 python2.5-ecore
python2.5-edje python2.5-etk python2.5-evas
python2.5-feedparser python2.5-hildon
20 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Can anyone guess if it would be dangerous or helpful to allow the apt-get program to install those? How can I get my N800 to find and re-download the latest update for OS2008?

I've even tried using the software updater on my laptop to overwrite the image and start fresh but the update isn't available that way. Should I overwrite what I have and then try downloading again over-the-air?

Ok update for whoever may have this problem in the future:
I've reinstalled the base 2008 firmware using the desktop application and then immediately did the over-the-air update. It worked.

I consider this problem closed. I'm not thrilled I had to do it this way but it worked.